Mozilla et al

Bug Powder venturas at csd.uoc.gr
Mon Feb 24 01:57:22 EET 2003

Akoma...

O "karagkiozhs arximhxanikos" htan apo tous prwtos pou doulepsan
sto Mozilla. O idios epishs esthse thn selida (mozilla.org).

Na ti leei gia thn apofash na ginei Open Source o Netscape (mozilla):

    Beyond that, I saw it as a chance for the code to actually prosper.

    By making it not be a Netscape project, but rather, be a public project
    to which Netscape was merely a contributor, the fact that Netscape was
    no longer capable of building products wouldn't matter: the outsiders
    would show Netscape how it's done.

    By putting control of the web browser into the hands of anyone who
    cared to step up to the task, we would ensure that those people would
    keep it going, out of their own self-interest.

Alla, dystyxws:

    But that didn't happen. For whatever reason, the project was not
    adopted by the outside. It remained a Netscape project.

    Now, this was still a positive change -- it meant that Netscape was
    developing this project out in the open, in full view of the world, and
    the world was giving important and effective feedback. Netscape
    made better decisions as a result.

    But it wasn't enough.

    The truth is that, by virtue of the fact that the contributors to the
    Mozilla project included about a hundred full-time Netscape
    developers, and about thirty part-time outsiders, the project
    still belonged wholly to Netscape -- because only those who
    write the code truly control the project.

    And here we are, a year later. And we haven't even shipped a beta yet.

Epishs paraponietai epeidh h NS den edwse thn kalh ekdosh tou
Netscape ws Open Source, oute kan olo ton kwdika:

    We never got there. We never distributed the source code to a
    working web browser, more importantly, to the web browser that
    people were actually using. We didn't release the source code to
    the most-previous-release of Netscape Navigator: instead, we
    released what we had at the time, which had a number of
    incomplete features, and lots and lots of bugs. And of course
    we weren't able to release any Java or crypto code at all.

Osoi endiaferontai gia olous tous logous pou thn ekane apo thn
Netscape telika, oriste: http://www.jwz.org/gruntle/nomo.html

Opote, nomizw oti telika exei dikio na paraponietai gia ton Mozilla
(dhladh ousiasthka enantia sthn Netscape).

P.S O idios o idryths ths Netscape, kai programatisths tou
arxikou Mosaic, exei fygei xronia twra apo thn etairia (o Marc
Andreseen).