Provlima me greek nls kai smb mount!!! Linux-greek-users Digest, Vol 15, Issue 28

NikosX frolix68 at yahoo.gr
Mon Jul 26 13:52:29 EEST 2004

> Lipon. Kata thn egkatastash toy Fedora2, nai , epeleksa ellinika. Tora oso
> gia ta fonts, oxi, den egkatestisa ellinika fonts, pera apo ayta poy exei to
> fedora2. Tha eprepe na valo Microsoft fonts?(kai an nai, ayto pos ginete?)

vale oti thes alla na exoyn ellinika mesa (to fedora exei mia vasiki
grammatoseira tipota allo).
pos ginetai i eggatastasi mporeis na deis ta release notes (to systyma
vasika doylevi me to neo tropo (fontconfig).

There has been some confusion regarding font-related issues under the X
Window System in recent versions of Fedora Core (and versions of Red Hat
Linux before it.) At the present time, there are two font subsystems,
each with different characteristics:

- The original (15+ year old) subsystem is referred to as the "core X
font subsystem". Fonts rendered by this subsystem are not anti-aliased,
are handled by the X server, and have names like:

-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1

The newer font subsystem is known as "fontconfig", and allows
applications direct access to the font files. Fontconfig is often used
along with the "Xft" library, which allows applications to render
fontconfig fonts to the screen with antialiasing. Fontconfig uses more
human-friendly names like:

Luxi Sans-10

Over time, fontconfig/Xft will replace the core X font subsystem. At the
present time, applications using the Qt 3 or GTK 2 toolkits (which would
include KDE and GNOME applications) use the fontconfig and Xft font
subsystem; most everything else uses the core X fonts.

In the future, Fedora Core may support only fontconfig/Xft in place of
the XFS font server as the default local font access method.

NOTE: An exception to the font subsystem usage outlined above is
OpenOffice.org (which uses its own font rendering technology).

If you wish to add new fonts to your Fedora Core 2 system, you must be
aware that the steps necessary depend on which font subsystem is to use
the new fonts. For the core X font subsystem, you must:

1. Create the /usr/share/fonts/local/ directory (if it doesn't already
exist):

mkdir /usr/share/fonts/local/

2. Copy the new font file into /usr/share/fonts/local/

3. Update the font information by issuing the following commands (note
that, due to formatting restrictions, the following commands may appear
on more than one line; in use, each command should be entered on a
single line):

ttmkfdir -d /usr/share/fonts/local/ -o
/usr/share/fonts/local/fonts.scale

mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/local/

4. If you had to create /usr/share/fonts/local/, you must then add it to
the X font server (xfs) path:

chkfontpath --add /usr/share/fonts/local/
Adding new fonts to the fontconfig font subsystem is more
straightforward; the new font file only needs to be copied into the
/usr/share/fonts/ directory (individual users can modify their personal
font configuration by copying the font file into the ~/.fonts/
directory).

After the new font has been copied, use fc-cache to update the font
information cache:

fc-cache <directory>

(Where <directory> would be either the /usr/share/fonts/ or ~/.fonts/
directories.)

Individual users may also install fonts graphically, by browsing
fonts:/// in Nautilus, and dragging the new font files there.
NOTE: If the font filename ends with ".gz", it has been compressed with
gzip, and must be decompressed (with the gunzip command) before the
fontconfig font subsystem can use the font.