Problem starting X-Windows

Valentin Guillen vguillen2NO-QUIERO-SPAM at home.com
Mon Oct 16 06:24:04 EEST 2000

Costas Gavardinas wrote:
> Can anyone
> tell me where I can alter this setting so that x-win starts? Which file
> should I change? Thank you very much for your help!

costas,

Locate and edit your XF86Config file.  Look for the first or second
section of the file called "Files"

In this section you'll find a path indicated for X to use when it's
going to load the fonts.  In this entire file, lines which begin with
the hash mark "#" have been rendered to mere comments, and are
inactivated.

Section "Files"
  RgbPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
  FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
  FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
  FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
  FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW"
  FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
  FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
  FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
  FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

By putting a hash mark as the first character on that line, you can
comment out the offending line, (the line or command which is causing X
to fritz out on you), and you may be able to get an X session running.
Be aware that there may be functions unavailable to you as a result of
not having access to a certain font.

Another option may be to rename/move/delete the current XF86Config file
and merely rerun the video configuration utility in order for it to
generate a new XF86Config file with the correct information regarding
the location of fonts.

If you may have accidentally deleted the fonts themselves, then merely
reinstall XFree86, and if necessary, at that point rerun your favorite
vid config utility.

Good Luck,
Valentin