Greek question mark and english semicolon

Dimitris Glezos glezos at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Jan 20 19:20:17 EET 2005

The preferred character for the greek question mark is 003B (english
semicolon), and this is not an advice of the operating systems engineers
but of the Unicode charset.

Thus, the rendering engine of the operating system may as well
substitute the 037E character with the 003B character, even if there is
a glyph available, since the two characters are canonically equivalent
as Vasilis said.

U+037E GREEK QUESTION MARK
Notes:
  • sentence-final punctuation
  • U+003B SEMICOLON is the preferred character
Equivalents:
  • U+003B SEMICOLON semicolon

U+003B SEMICOLON
Notes:
  • this, and not U+037E GREEK QUESTION MARK, is the preferred character
for 'Greek question mark'

Dim

--
Dimitris Glezos