[Rule] Is this list still alive?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat Oct 29 16:51:10 EEST 2011

On Fri, October 28, 2011 5:34 pm, Liam Proven wrote:
> Anybody still subscribed and reading their mail?

Hi Liam (and David, Richard, Vegard and all the others who will answer)

I arrived at home just a few hours ago after three weeks almost always on
the road for conferences and other work stuff, so I have an email backlog
even greater than usual and don't worry if after this I'll stay silent for
a few days...

This said, this is the situation:

the original website is dead because

1) it wasn't maintained/maintainable anymore: it ran on the Athens LUG web
server, on a very old version of Drupal, I had lost the admin password
which was tied to an email address I stopped using years ago and nobody
had the time/skills to restore it

2) the domain wasn't renewed (partially because it had been registered,
IIRC, by Rodolfo Paiz who totally disappeared from the net years ago, so
nobody knew how to contact him and get the domain transferred.

So now all the content (I hope) is still online as a static website on my
own server at http://rule.zona-m.net, that's where we should start from if
we wanted to continue/resume activity, see that page for details

the mailing list is alive because it is hosted on the same server as the
original website, ir the Athens LUG machine, but it has a still working
software configuration. I signalled the greek spam problem to Richard
months ago, and as far as I can see, it was fixed, I don't receive that
anymore. Restoring activity would also mean discuss if/how/where the list
could continue to run. However, all the archives from the beginning to
last March or so are mirrored at the same web address given above, on my
server.

Other random stuff:

- the .odt file that Richard sent is OpenDocument format, usable without
problems with OpenOffice, is it corrupt?

- it's Marco, not Mario :-)

- there is a still a need for Up to Date Linux, IMO. It's just that the
requirements are changed, ie trying to support i386 or i486 desktop
probably it's much less useful than targeting (for example) first
generation netbooks, thin clients without a server and similar.

Going back to resume work now, but obviously much interested in continuing
the discussion.

Marco