[RULE] Re: From Greenland- Slinky install problem-possibly very

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Thu Jan 20 19:56:27 EET 2005

Quoting Jason Bechtel <bechtel at freeshell.org>:

> ====== sidebar ======
> By the way, I also noticed in a recent distribution (can't remember
> which one) that /boot is unmounted during the boot process.  This makes

To do this, edit your /etc/fstab to have the 'noauto' option for the /boot
partition.  For example:

/dev/hda2       /boot     ext2    noauto,defaults    1   1

IIRC, there should be tabs between each field.

Whenever you need to maintain the boot partition, log in as root and enter the
command 'mount /boot'.  When your done, 'umount /boot'.

I don't know how well this works with up2date/yum in RH when you are updating
kernel/lilo/grub, though.  Perhaps you should mount /boot before
doing 'up2date.'  I would hope that it mounts it for you, though.

--
             G a b r i e l   M .  B e d d i n g f i e l d

Rule Project HOME PAGE:  http://www.rule-project.org/en/
Rule-list at rule-project.org