[RULE] RULE w/RH8.0

Jason Roysdon jroysdon at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 16 12:29:35 EET 2003

Is RULE currently supporting RH8.0?  It would appear that it is from:
http://www.rule-project.org/en/docs/rule_install.php

"The RULE install guide (version 0.1, 2003/01/27)

This guide describes how to install Red Hat Linux using the RULE installers,
boot floppies and ISO images. It mostly covers installation of Red Hat 8.0,
but many informations are still valid with versions 7.x of the same
distribution."

I've downloaded
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/images-0.7.0/boot.img and have used
it with 'dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k'

(btw, is there a way to force dd to check for errors?  I had a floppy that
produced no error with this, but after I'd type 'linux updates' it'd start
to load the kernel and then error out saying insert a new disk).

I have my RH8.0 install CDs (which work just fine if I use the standard
RH8.0 boot.img) and have created the update floppy from
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/updates-v0.7.1.tar

After booting, I type 'linux updates' (btw, the text mode used here is not
the same low-res 80x25 text mode that the standard RH8.0 installer uses and
is not compatible with an old Mono-VGA monitor I use, and 'linux updates
text' doesn't make a difference).  If I don't have my RH8.0 CD1 inserted, it
will prompt me for it, and either way I'm eventually prompted for my Updates
disk.  Then I see:

Running anaconda - please wait...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/tmp/updates/anaconda", linueu 64, in ?
   from log import log
ImportError: No module named log
Install exited abnormally
Blah, blah

What am I missing?  I'm hoping we're still not required to use RH7.x.

PS, my CD-ROM doesn't boot, so I must use a floppy boot method (but, again,
this works fine with the stock RH8.0 installer)

Jason Roysdon
http://jason.roysdon.net/

Rule Project HOME PAGE:  http://www.rule-project.org/en/
Rule Development Site:   http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/rule/