[News] Office Open XML is Disapproved

ndemou at gmail.com ndemou at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 22:03:24 EEST 2007

On 9/6/07, Antonis Christofides <anthony at itia.ntua.gr> wrote:
> > Κάτι ακόμα πιο κοντινό σε εμάς: το site NoOOxml.org αναφέρει "serious
> > irregularities" στην διαδικασία ψηφοφορίας της Ελλάδας [3] αλλά δεν
> > βρήκα λεπτομέρειες (δεν είχα όμως και χρόνο να ψάξω αρκετά)
>
> Ίσως να υπήρξαν minor irregularities, είναι στην κρίση του καθενός να
> κρίνει κάτι τέτοιο, όμως δεν υπήρξαν serious irregularities. Είναι
> λάθος στο χάρτη, που θα διορθωθεί σύντομα.
>
> Ο ΕΛΟΤ απάντησε "Ναι με σχόλια." Το συνοδευτικό έγγραφο γράφει με
> σαφήνεια ότι αν δεν διορθωθούν ορισμένα προβλήματα (και συγκεκριμένα
> αναφέρει το θέμα με τις πατέντες και το θέμα με τις ημερομηνίες), τότε
> ο ΕΛΟΤ θα "reconsider its position" και ότι μπορεί να αλλάξει την ψήφο
> του σε όχι.

Alex Brown (ISO BRM Convenor) has noticed[1]:
<<<
One curiosity of the ballot results is the degree of skepticism
accompanying the votes of approval. Normally an approval vote in an
ISO ballot means that the technical content has been approved.
However, some of the comments accompanying approval votes look to me
like they crave resolution. Indeed, Greece has gone so far as to
accompany its approval vote with the following statement:

   "If the Ballot Resolution Group fails to resolve satisfactorily the
issues, then ELOT will reconsider its position and may cast a vote of
disapproval during the BRG meeting(s) according to article 13.8 of the
JTC1 directives, or may even appeal to the final adoption of the
Standard."

This introduces a complication for the BRM. As convenor, one of my
responsibilities is to run the meeting in a such a way that it
maximises the chances of approving a text. One natural way of doing
this is to de-prioritise comments that accompanied an approval vote,
on the basis that those countries are already happy with the text.
However, for Greece this evidently isn't an accurate assumption – and
the same may be true of other countries too. I need to find out which

[1]   http://www.adjb.net/index.php?entry=entry070909-104641

--
Σεβασμός της ανθρώπινης ζωής και του περιβάλλοντος στην Ελλάδα:
http://news.kathimerini.gr/4dcgi/_w_articles_ell_100007_08/07/2007_233651