Linux-greek-users Digest, Vol 24, Issue 26

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Apr 25 03:44:56 EEST 2005

On 2005-04-23 20:05, Vasso Servou <vasso_servou at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> My initial question was
> Which distribution of linux i could install on PENTIUM MMX
> >      166MHz (Vasso Servou)
> Therefore, i cannot have any graphical enviroment with linux on this
> machine. But i now have windows 98 and office 98. I thought that linux is
> more powerful and that i  could find a distribution to make this machine
> more powerful.

You definitely can.  I've used a Pentium 166 with 32 MB of physical
memory (and a lot of swap space) as an X11 workstation for several
years.

You just have to be careful when choosing the GUI applications you run
on it: for instance, KDE, Gnome or other heavy-weight "desktop
environments" are out of the question, otherwise you're back to the
crawling mess that Windows is on such machines.

> [Huge snip]

Please DO NOT top-post and TRIM the quoted material to the absolutely
minimum material needed to keep the thread going.

- Giorgos