Kernel panic - Confused partitions

Net Masker netmasker at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 02:12:45 EET 2004

Suddently, my linux redhat 7.3 (kernel 2.4.18) failed to start.
I took the following message:
---------------------------
VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev ide0(3,8)
mount: error 22 mounting ext3
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
---------------------------

This is the second time I take this message! (The first one I reinstalled)

I boot with the first cd-rom of redhat in rescue mode, I checked my
"lilo.conf" file and it was OK!!
My ext3 root partition is on /dev/hda8 and I run:
mke2fs /dev/hda8
tune2fs ...
tune2fs -j /dev/hda#
e2fsck ...
(for all my /dev/hda# without understanding what am I doing exactly and
taking some superblock errors at first...)

Then I run "fdisk /dev/hda" and with the "p" parameter I saw that MY
PARTITIONS WERE CONFUSED (...I had written down the original configuration
of my partitions):

boot was /dev/hda6 instead of /dev/hda7
root was /dev/hda7 instead of /dev/hda8
swap was /dev/hda8 instead of /dev/hda9
My fat32 partition was /dev/hda9 instead of /dev/hda6
(and now the last one is inaccecible from windwows)

Tried to boot again without the cd-rom and I took:
----------------------
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
Kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds.
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot/, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 280k free
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

Is there any way to fix the problem without reinstalling?
Any help appreciated,
TIA