query about modem in linux-Subashini,India

I.Ioannou roryt at hol.gr
Fri Oct 20 14:18:20 EEST 2000

"subashini.P" wrote:

> Hai,
>         i am subashini,Electronics and Communication Engineer, working
> in HCL,Pondicherry,India.

Hello from Greece

> I got problem in connecting net through internal 56kDax modem.After
> configuring everything, dialing to phone number is appearing.But
> finally, no carrier is producing.(Note:there is no prob in phone line.)

I assume that you have check that your modem is working properly through
-let say- minicom. Don't trust kppp for this, check it, in order to be
sure this is not a winmodem.
If you can use the modem through minicom, and you can give the AT
commands direct,
try dialing , something like :
atd<telephone number>
to see what the response is
If everything is fine with minicom, then probably the commands that kppp
is
trying to give to the modem are not correct (let say the voice control
commands)
and you have to check them against you modem's manual
Or try using xisp

Hope this will help you, revert with the results.

I.Ioannou <roryt at hol.gr>