Help needed from Greek Linux users!

Antonis Tsolomitis atsol1 at iris.math.aegean.gr
Wed Mar 29 15:36:24 EEST 2000

> >> I definitely know you can write (modern) Greek in StarOffice.

This is absolutely correct. You do not need to buy anything.

> > possible to write old Greek in Word (if it is not possible, the professor
> > will not miss this feature in SO as well:)).

Although Michalis answered correctly here (you can not write
polytonic greek on SO, but hopefully soon this will be possible)
I want to add here a comment about Word.
>From the typographical view-point you can "not" write polytonic greek
in Word too.
The only available polytonic font is TimesNewRoman or
simple variations of this. This font with its mixed
Baroque and NeoHumanistic axes is definetely unacceptable
for classical greek. You, being a computer guy may not
notice/care but I am almost sure that the Professor you
are talking about will (or should) object for aesthetic reasons.

Although LaTeX has an excellent font for such applications
for word processors you must buy something good from
the Greek Font Society. Still you will never get the
right typografic color that you will get with LaTeX
(uneven spacing not only horizontal but also vertical
which looks extremely bad, and the reason is that
word processors will not be able to deal reasonably
with the big x-height of the polytonic characters).

> (currently) Tex, although I hope we will be able to provide something similar
> in a couple of months maybe.

Michalis, we must take care of such things. On the level of fonts,
what companies provide is of unacceptable quality. You write
the word "eivai" with psili-tilde and the font takes up almost
two lines!

> >> I do know that you may export it to .doc file and what is needed to be done
> >> in
> >> Word to see the text correctly.
> >> What i DO NOT know, is if it's possible to export it to rtf (and work with
> >> word).

I have tested the following: You can move from StarOffice to
Word and back only through rtf provided that the machine
that has the Word installed has Greece as its regional settings.

RTF exchange works perfect with greek (monotonic of course. not
polytonic).

yours,

AT.