FW: VNC remote-display system freely available

I.Ioannou roryt at hol.gr
Sat Mar 7 09:22:02 EET 1998

Ti legame oti olo kai poio poly sobares etaireies
otan bgazoun ena proion amesos exoun to Linux sthn lista
to ypostirizomenwn OS's ?
Deite ayto :

-----Forward: VNC remote-display system freely available-----

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 12:07:01 GMT
XFMstatus: 0000
From: Quentin Stafford-Fraser <quentin@$.orl.co.uk>
Subject: VNC remote-display system freely available

VNC remote-display system freely available

ORL, the Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, has made available the
first public release of the Virtual Network Computing (VNC) system.

VNC is, in essence, a remote display system which allows you to view a
computing 'desktop' environment not only on the machine where it is
running, but from anywhere on the Internet and from a wide variety of
machine architectures.

Many of us at ORL, for example, use a VNC viewer running on a Windows
PC on our desks to display our Unix environments which are running on
a large server in the machine room downstairs.

What makes it different from other systems?

For this simple mode of operation, you could achieve a similar effect
by installing an X server on your PC. The important factors which
distinguish VNC from other remote display systems such as X are as
follows:

* No state is stored at the viewer. This means you can leave your
  desk, go to another machine, whether next door or several hundred
  miles away, reconnect to your desktop from there and finish the
  sentence you were typing. Even the cursor will be in the same place.

* It is small and simple. The Win32 viewer, for example, is about 150K
  in size and can be run directly from a floppy. There is no
  installation needed.

* It is truly platform-independent. A desktop running on a Linux
  machine may be displayed on a Windows PC. Or a Solaris machine. Or
  any number of other architectures. The simplicity of the protocol
  makes it easy to port to new platforms. We have a Java viewer, which
  will run in any Java-capable browser. We have a Windows server,
  allowing you to view a remote Windows NT desktop on any of these
  platforms using exactly the same viewer.  We developed VNC after the
  success of our Teleporting system, which was purely X-based, to give
  us platform-independence.

* It is sharable. One desktop can be displayed and used by several
  viewers at once, allowing CSCW-style applications.

* It is free! You can download it, use it, and redistribute it under
  the terms of the GNU Public Licence. We provide binaries and source
  code for the following platforms:

         o Solaris 2.5
         o Digital Unix 3.2
         o x86 Linux 2.0
         o x86 Windows NT / Windows 95

For more information please see the VNC web pages at:

        http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/

or send email to vnc at orl.co.uk.

--------------End of forwarded message-------------------------

I.Ioannou (roryt at hol.gr)