You've never seen something like that...

Steffen Grunewald steffen at gfz-potsdam.de
Mon Jan 19 21:56:54 EET 1998

"Christofer Karatzinis writes"

|> Hi all,
|>
|>    I thought that the difficulty is to add a new device in your computer,
|> not to remove one. So, I add (without any problem) an external SCSI NEC
|> CDplayer in my Sun (IPC). I mount the RedHat cdrom, I copied some files...
|> I unmount it and I tried to remove it from the sun. If I boot the machine
|> I have this:
|>
|> Can't clear ESP interrupts. Check SCSI Term. Power Fuse.
|> (I have this message 10-15 times)
|> SCSI device 3,0 is not responding.
|> Can't open boot device
|> Type help for more information
|>
|> Any help? How can I remove this CDplayer? In order to boot my Sun, I must
|> have the CDplayer connected (it doesn't seem to care about termination)
|> and the CDplayer MUST be on!!!

Looks like your host adapter doesn't provide the bus with termination
power anymore. That's what it tells you : blown fuse.
If you connect your CDROM, the bus gets fed with power from it and has
proper electrical properties. If you dicsconnect the CD, the power is
gone.
Check your internal disk whether it has a jumper to provide TermPower
to the bus (not only the device, but this would suffice
to get the machine up from disk).
There's no problem if there are more than one device with TP to bus
enabled, because they are protected from each other by diodes.

Good luck, and may the term power be with you.

 Steffen
--
name  : Steffen Grunewald         | disclaimer: My opinions are mine.
email : steffen(at)gfz-potsdam.de |        You can rent them. Ask me.
Gia boithia (h na diagrafhte) e-mail sto majordomo at argos.hol.gr