Vivlia gia programmatismo !

Stelios Bounanos sb at dial.pipex.com
Tue Apr 28 08:02:15 EEST 1998

Alexios Chouchoulas <alexios at vennea.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Apo thn allh, akoma ki an exeis hdh mathei BASIC yparxei panta swthria.
>
> Gia tous sklhropyrhnikous pou areskontai ston programmatismo makaronadas a
> la BASIC, kanoume to ekshs: anagkastikh xrhsh Fortran gia ena mhna.
>
> An to thyma einai akoma ametanohto, anagkastikh xrhsh COBOL (ftou ftou
> mpliax) gia mia bdomada.
>
> An AKOMA den leei na dei to Fws to Alhthino kai na aspastei ta kata Steele
> kai K&R evaggelia, tote h timwria prepei na einai paradeigmatikh. Grapsimo
> tou "Hello World" se... INTERCAL (kravges basanismenwn psyxwn). Mesa se 2
> wres.

Poly swsta! :)

> The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
> regarded as a criminal offense.

>      -- E. W. Dijkstra (evloghtos o Theos, we're not worthy, klp klp)
Hey! Exeis diabasei to Jargon file?!

Kai yparxoun kai alla, gia thn `plhroforhsh' olwn:

Apo to New Hacker's Dictionary (=="Jargon File"):

:BASIC: /bay'-sic/ /n./  [acronym: Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic
   Instruction Code] A programming language, originally designed for
   Dartmouth's experimental timesharing system in the early 1960s,
   which has since become the leading cause of brain damage in
   proto-hackers.  Edsger W. Dijkstra observed in "Selected
   Writings on Computing: A Personal Perspective" that "It is
   practically impossible to teach good programming style to students
   that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers
   they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."  This is
   another case (like {Pascal}) of the cascading lossage that
   happens when a language deliberately designed as an educational toy
   gets taken too seriously.  A novice can write short BASIC programs
   (on the order of 10-20 lines) very easily; writing anything longer
   (a) is very painful, and (b) encourages bad habits that will make
   it harder to use more powerful languages well.  This wouldn't be so
   bad if historical accidents hadn't made BASIC so common on low-end
   micros.  As it is, it ruins thousands of potential wizards a
   year.

:COBOL: /koh'bol/ /n./  [COmmon Business-Oriented Language]
   (Synonymous with {evil}.)  A weak, verbose, and flabby language
   used by {card walloper}s to do boring mindless things on
   {dinosaur} mainframes.  Hackers believe that all COBOL
   programmers are {suit}s or {code grinder}s, and no
   self-respecting hacker will ever admit to having learned the
   language.  Its very name is seldom uttered without ritual
   expressions of disgust or horror.  One popular one is Edsger W.
   Dijkstra's famous observation that "The use of COBOL cripples the
   mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal
   offense." (from "Selected Writings on Computing: A Personal
   Perspective") See also {fear and loathing}, {software
   rot}.

:Fortrash: /for'trash/ /n./  Hackerism for the FORTRAN
   (FORmula TRANslator) language, referring to its primitive design,
   gross and irregular syntax, limited control constructs, and
   slippery, exception-filled semantics.

(Eidika afierwmeno stous hlektrologous @amalia.ee.upatras.gr hehe)
(Pote me to kalo o doryforos? :))

Oso gia thn INTERCAL...

>>  "Men of lofty genius are most active
>>         when they are doing the least work".
>>                            -- Leonardo da Vinci
>
>  Poly kalo afto. Tha to xrhsimopoihsw ws thn ypertath dikaiologia. :-)

Egw to xrhsimopoiw hdh mazi me to "I'm not lazy, I'm doing research on
inertia" :-))

sb.

--
 "Men of lofty genius are most active
        when they are doing the least work".
                           -- Leonardo da Vinci

PS. Sygnwmh se olous gia to mege8os autou tou email. Elpizw na mhn
einai para polloi s'auth th lista, alliws o argeas 8a xreiastei na
parei mia ba8eia anasa... :)

Gia boithia (h na diagrafhte) e-mail sto majordomo at argos.hol.gr