[I18NGR] Fwd: Re: Language versus Country ISO code for Greek keyboard layout

Thanos Kyritsis djart at linux.gr
Fri Mar 10 11:12:44 EET 2006

Subject: Re: Language versus Country ISO code for Greek keyboard layout
Date: Friday 10 March 2006 02:34
From: "Sergey Udaltsov" <sergey.udaltsov at gmail.com>
To: "Thanos Kyritsis" <djart at linux.gr>
Cc: xkb at listserv.bat.ru, i18ngr at lists.hellug.gr

Hello Thanos

> Yes, sure it does. I just tested xkeyboard-config 0.8 over X.org
> 6.9.0 and the compatibility rule works just fine. BIG Thanks.

Good!

> The 1st is the "ubuntu" way, which is to install xkeyboard-config
> over xkbdata and provide it as a package in the Linux distribution.

Yes, this is the only correct way.

> But I don't think every distro-maker in the world will agree to
> include xkeyboard-config in their distro, so there has to be a
> "backup" plan:

No, there is no backup plan. xkeyboard-config was never meant as a
"patch" to xkbdata. It is all-or-nothing approach. Either distromakers
use xkbdata (which is officially obsolete now!) or use
xkeyboard-config.

> The 2nd one is syncing Xkb database with xkeyboard-config database. I
> checked X.org cvs sources some days ago and I noticed they are not
> synced. What has to be done to get them synced in CVS ? Should I
> contact someone else ?

xkbdata is not really maintained. If you read Xorg 6.9.0 release notes
- they are recommending upgrading to xkeyboard-config. And our CVS has
the structure  rather different from xkbdata these days - so the
effort of synchronizing would be a MASSIVE waste of time.

> And secondly, what are the steps for doing this syncing ? Is it just
> a bare copying of xkeyboard-config's compat/ geometry/ keycodes/
> keymap/ rules/ semantics/ symbols/ types/ sources over xkbdata
> sources ?

Well, if you replace them all properly (just don't forget to REMOVE
the original dirs) - you'll just get xkeyboard-config as such:)

> We may need to send e-mails/bug reports to some of the popular distro
> makers and I know they appreciate to be presented with the whole
> procedure of solving the problem rather than investigating it
> themselves. So I'd like to know how to instruct them to manually do
> the syncing.

Redhat, Ubuntu, SUSE are going the xkeyboard-config way. IIRC Debian
as well. About others I just do not know. But I repeat -
xkeyboard-config was never planned as a patch to xkbdata - and I do
not see any reason to change it.

Regards,

Sergey

Thanos Kyritsis <djart at linux.gr>