[I18NGR] [DejaVu-fonts] New DejaVu packages in Fedora Core

Simos Xenitellis simos74 at gmx.net
Sun Jun 11 01:43:38 EEST 2006

O/H Ben Laenen Ýãñáøå:
> On Saturday 10 June 2006 13:03, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>
>> I requested to have a few screenshots in order to demonstrate how
>> well DejaVu looks or
>> pinpoint exactly any issues (for example, bold looks a bit too bold;
>> disable hinting if bold?)
>>

> This seems rather odd. It should look thicker without hinting. Note
> though that DejaVu Sans Bold has no hinting for most characters in
> Greek.

I think I am abusing the terminology.
I meant above "disable autohinting if bold?". I think that autohinting
in fontconfig makes the blurry letters which is distracting.
If the glyphs are "hinted" (they carry instructions on how to look, so
the edges are crisp and well visible).

Autohinting takes action if the glyphs have no "hinting information"
themsleves, isn't it?

Dimitris has made some screenshots available, see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Teams/Greek#head-ddf45066829dc4143bcda75a14fdc4a350e88b6a
There are some issues with
1. accents on Greek letters appear to be placed very high above the
letters. It is more common in Greek to have them nearer to the letter.
How shall we describe what is the optimal position for this? Perhaps get
Gimp and DejaVu at 72pt and move to the proper distance?
2. The vertical lines for Ø, Ö do not appear to be in the center. Is
this an issue with the lack of hinting?
Can it be fixed now without having to add hinting?

Simos