[I18NGR] [DejaVu-fonts] Miniscule lambda (U+03BB)

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 14 17:04:17 EEST 2006

(apologies if you received this more than once; I am switching e-mail
addresses and I think I got caught up here.)

Hello,

I believe that the mentioned variation of miniscule lambda (λ, U+03BB)
is used in a condensed variation of the font. Indeed, in newspaper
articles on the front page, you expect the font width to be as small as
possible. For example, see
* http://www.enet.gr/online/online (click on the front page image on the
top-left, the front page pops. Today's issue has a miniscule lambda on
the left column of the front page)

However, another major newspaper does not follow this style of miniscule
lambda, see
http://tovima.dolnet.gr/front_page.php (screenshot quality is low,
however several miniscule lambdas are visible).

You may see also how miniscule lambda looks in a series of traditional
Greek fonts at
http://www.greekfontsociety.org/pages/en_typefaces.html
In all cases, the miniscule lambda looks like the style adopted in
DejaVu.

I am CC:ing a couple of greek mailing lists in case there is further
input to this issue.

Cheers,
Simos

Στις 09-08-2006, ημέρα Τετ, και ώρα 15:31 +0200, ο/η Ben Laenen έγραψε: