[I18n]XKB layout names

Claudio Bandaloukas rdfm at libero.it
Thu Apr 5 11:39:14 EEST 2001

On Thursday 05 April 2001 07:25, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
> Kaixo!

Ciao or Kalimera :-)

> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 01:05:18AM +0300, Katsaloulis Panagiotis wrote:
> >> Indeed, the primary cracteristic of a keyboard is its *geographic*
> >> coverage.
> >
> > The "greek" keyboards are actually US keyboards. The only difference is
> > when we switch from the "US" layout to "Greek" layout.
>
> But greek letters are hard printed on the keys, isn't it?
> And such keyboards are only available in Greece (I know I would have very
> hard to buy one in other place); so its diffusion is indeed geographically
> limited.
True. I can't find a greek keyboard in Italy.

> > One more thing: there are UK & Italian keyboards which support the Greek
> > layout (since greek layout is completely different from the
>
> You mean there are keyboards with both latin and greek letters hard printed
> on the keys, and with the latin letters following the layout of GB and IT
> keyboards? I would be very interested to see an image of such keyboards.

Correction. Greek keybards are different from Italian keyboards. The same way
GB keyboards are different from Italian keyboards.

Italian keyboards have some special caracters near the return key (like e' o')
The @ symbol is not on the key where 2 il located, it is near (the third) the
Return key and you have to press AltGr to use it
The / symbol works as Shift-7

Greek keyboards follow the US/UK (dunno, dior8wste me) layout but also have
greek letters hard printed.
We change from the us letters to the greek letters with a key combination
(under XF86Config I have
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"gr"
	Option		"XkbOptions"	"grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"
					^^^^^^^^^^^^^
EndSection
So I use right ctrl+right shift to change

yea it's a big fuss :-(

> > One more think: the ancient greek keycodes are completely defferent than
> > modern greek.
>
> You mean there are different greek keyboard layouts?
There are two layouts. The "standard" one and one from IBM (PS/2 era)
Dunno about ancient greek

--
Claudio Bandaloukas