[I18n]XKB layout names

Pablo Saratxaga pablo at mandrakesoft.com
Thu Apr 5 08:25:18 EEST 2001

Kaixo!

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 01:05:18AM +0300, Katsaloulis Panagiotis wrote:

>> Indeed, the primary cracteristic of a keyboard is its *geographic* coverage.
>
> The "greek" keyboards are actually US keyboards. The only difference is
> when we switch from the "US" layout to "Greek" layout.

But greek letters are hard printed on the keys, isn't it?
And such keyboards are only available in Greece (I know I would have very hard
to buy one in other place); so its diffusion is indeed geographically limited.

> One more thing: there are UK & Italian keyboards which support the Greek
> layout (since greek layout is completely different from the

You mean there are keyboards with both latin and greek letters hard printed
on the keys, and with the latin letters following the layout of GB and IT
keyboards? I would be very interested to see an image of such keyboards.

> One more think: the ancient greek keycodes are completely defferent than
> modern greek.

You mean there are different greek keyboard layouts?

> P.S.:
> Even if the layout should keep the "gr" name, please don't forget to
> replace the 'Compose' & 'symbol' files, since they contain important fixes
> for the ease use of the greek keyboard.

Have you submited updates?

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,