Fwd: Re: Keyboard layout

Panayotis Katsaloulis teras at writeme.com
Tue Oct 17 15:10:52 EEST 2000

Subject: Re: Keyboard layout
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:29:45 +0700
From: Eugene Osintsev <osgene at omskelecom.ru>

Hi Panayotis,

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Panayotis Katsaloulis wrote:

I'm sorry for my silence :)

>> I think it is. But I don't quite understand what is a difference
>> between US and UK keyboard? And which of them do you use in Greece?
>> Could you clear the matter?

> We usually use the US keyboard. The differences are in some keys
> positions. For example the [#] sign is not over [3], but on the key
> left to the [Enter].

Well, I understand. Look at my Russian layout I had sent you before. The
file "ru" (I've attached it again). You will see there several
"xkb_symbols" definitions. They are just for that purpose. We, in
Russia, have got several commonly used layouts. They differ from each
other not so serious, mainly in the alphanumeric row of the keyboard.
Just as your case, say, '#' may be over '3' or may be not, etc. So,
having such organized "ru" layout it is easy to write something like
this in your XF86Config:

Section "Keyboard"
  Protocol      "Standard"
  XkbRules      "xfree86"
  XkbModel      "pc104"
  XkbLayout     "ru"             # Basic xkb_symbols definition
  #  XkbVariant   "doskeys"      # The variant for old DOS keyboards
  #  XkbVariant   "winkeys"      # The variant for Windows keyboards
  XkbVariant    "typewriter"     # I like this modification
                                 # of the basic one
  XkbOptions    "grp:toggle"
EndSection

> Of course this is not very important, but..

I'm sure it's important... Because you ask about it. ;-)

Waiting for your letter.

--
Best regards,
              Eugene