ubuntu GR for ESF in Athens? URGENT

Simos Xenitellis simosx at gmail.com
Wed May 3 21:03:46 EEST 2006

Hi All,

It's great you all got in contact.

As you will be meeting lots of people from different countries, here
are again some facts about Greek localisation. These would be useful
to attract the attention of the Greek audience.
There are some technical issues that we are still addressing, however
overall it's not bad.

1. Ubuntu 5.10 comes with Greek support, that is Greek writing
support, Greek fonts and Greek user interface.
2. The Ubuntu 5.10 installation CD will allow you to write in Greek
and display text in Greek (like web pages or Greek text).
3. To install the Greek interface (like GNOME or KDE), you need
additional packages; you need to have an internet connection. The
files are about 40MB, which means that it is more comfortable for
users to do this from broadband.
4. The Ubuntu 5.10 installation CD comes with the MgOpen
(http://www.ellak.gr/fonts/mgopen/) Greek fonts. These were donated
from a local Greek company, Magenta, and come with a FLOSS license.
One of the fonts supports Ancient Greek (Polytonic) which is cool. If
you want to impress with Ancient Greek, there is a OpenDocument file
with the Holly Bible, at http://simos.info/blog/?p=454
(direct link to file:
http://planet.hellug.gr/misc/%CE%91%CE%B3%CE%AF%CE%B1%20%CE%93%CF%81%CE%B1%CF%86%CE%AE.odt)
5. If you demonstrate the Greek of Ubuntu 5.10, you can enable writing
support with
http://www.gnome.gr/writing/ (Requires Flash) or
http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu_dapper#How_to_add_keyboard_layouts_for_other_languages
6. There are some problems with OOo and the Greek version that are
fixed in Dapper.

There is more work for Ubuntu 6.06 and Greek support, so when it gets
available all issues are sorted out. The current beta version of
Ubuntu fixes all these issues with the Greek support. You may want to
use that for demonstration.

Have fun at ESF,
Simos