HEADSUP: The importance of translation projects in FreeBSD

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Fri May 2 14:44:15 EEST 2008

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:44:27 +0200, Gabor Kovesdan <gabor at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear Folks,
>>
>> I'm writing to you in concern of your translation effort.
>>
> [...]
>
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/DocTranslationProjects
>>

> Hi all,
>
> It took me a few days to notice that Gabor's email was stuck in the
> moderation queue of freebsd-doc-el, among a few dozens of spam messages.

Oops... Haven't realized that we started having spam *already*
> We talked briefly with Gabor about the Wiki pages of translations.  The
> effort of presenting the translation work on wiki.freebsd.org is similar
> to the work of Manolis on freebsdgr.dyndns.org and www.freebsdgr.org,
> and I like it a lot.
>
> I also have write access to wiki.freebsd.org, so I will start adding
> some stuff similar to that of www.freebsdgr.org.  If you want to make
> changes to wiki.freebsd.org too, please feel free to contact either me
> or Gabor so we can set you up with permissions to edit web pages
> directly at wiki.freebsd.org :-)

This is all a nice idea. We have to expose the fact that there is
actually a Greek documentation project for FreeBSD, we may then attract
more volunteers.
Now that I've actually bought the freebsdgr.org domain, I was thinking
of doing a small restructuring in the my wiki:

- Move stuff unrelated to FreeBSD from the front page
- Add an English version of the front page for people "passing by" the site
- Maybe add some front page info on how to get involved / get in contact
with us (maybe using some stuff from the FOSSCOMM presentations)

I am always open to other creative ideas :)

Manolis