[Rule] slinky and pcmcia network card problem

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Jul 23 07:34:53 EEST 2006

On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 19:12:30 -0500,
  Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> I am attempting to install fedora core 5 on an old laptop.
> The laptop has a pcmcia network card that currently works with redhat 6.2.
> However it doesn't get activated when I try to do an httprpms install.
> The device light does not come on. ifconfig does not see the device when
> trying to bring eth0 up. The error message is:
> SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
>
> I tried using the slinky-0.5.05, a and b images and they all had the same
> problem.
>
> As far as I can tell the pcmcia functionallity is supposed to be compiled into
> the kernel and I don't need to load a kernel module to make it work. There is a
> pcmcia.sh script, but it refers to 2.6.9, so I think it is likely a relic from
> the past.

I looked at things some more and I now believe that only some pcmcia stuff is
built into the kernel. I still need some pcmcia network modules installed.
I tried copying over parts of the more complete module addon to get it to
fit on a floppy, but modprobe was unable to parse modules.dep and the
module loading was failing. I tried removing entries out of modules.dep
that I didn't copy over, but I still had the same error.
It looks like if I get the whole build environment that is a script for
building an addon floppy just for pcmcia.
The other option I have is to put the boot kernel on the hard drive and swap
the cdrom drive (which the laptop won't boot from) in for the floppy drive.
Then I should be able to boot slinky from the hard drive and mount the
more extensive group of addon modules on the cdrom drive.