[RULE] Ubuntu Mini-RAM HOWTO

Jason Bechtel bechtel at freeshell.org
Fri Dec 17 22:28:23 EET 2004

On Thursday, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:07 PM, M. Fioretti typed:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 18:32:24 PM +0100, Ingo Lantschner (Lists)
> (ingo.lists at vum.at) wrote:
> > Ubuntu Mini-RAM HOWTO
> >
> > How to install an Ubuntu-Desktop on low memory systemes
> > (Pentium II und III Processor, 32-256 MB RAM)
> >
> > see http://www.binonabiso.com/en/Ubuntu-miniRAM-HOWTO.html
>
> Thanks a lot, Ingo, and congratulations. This came just at the right
> moment: I got this just yesterday from another Italian guy, working on
> the Italian version of Ubuntu:
>
> >stavo pensando se qualcuno fosse interessato a partecipare ad un
> >eventuale progetto di Ubuntu ITALIA: un versione di RULE
> >[http://www.rule-project.org] basata su Ubuntu e/o Debian.
>
> Translation:
> "I was wondering if anybody is interested to participate in a possible
> project of UBUNTU Italia: a RULE version based on Ubuntu and/or
> Debian"
>
> I have already answered to him that we should really cooperate, and
> that, in my personal opinion, the first problem to solve together are
> kdrive and above all mini-kde, exactly because they are distro
> independent and because, as you point out in that page, OO.o is not an
> option on really low end systems.
>
> Now I will of course forward to him your message
>
> Later,
> 	Marco
>
> --
> Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
> Red Hat & Fedora for low memory   http://www.rule-project.org/
>
> Don't think that a small group of dedicated individuals can't change
> the world. it's the only thing that ever has.  (read on /.)

Oh - my - God!

This is exactly what we need!  I am working with a community technology
center (CTC) in Toledo, Ohio (USA, not Spain).  We are using LTSP on
Ubuntu.  We want to create something that will work for most CTCs,
though.  That means catering to low-end systems while supplying high-end
modern software.  Ubuntu meets our needs currently, but I just talked
them into helping RULE to develop a custom installer for Ubuntu (or
regular Debian).  Now it looks like it's closer than I thought...

And considering the coverage of Canonical's conference on LaunchPad...

        https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/ConfAgenda
        http://lwn.net/Articles/115459/ (subscribers only til 12/23)
        http://lwn.net/Articles/115689/ (subscribers only til 12/23)

I think we could really create our own custom CTC-targeted RULE-ified
distro! What I'd really like is a custom installer that would set up one
of two profiles:

1)  RULE-ified LTSP server
2)  RULE-ified standalone workstation

But our custom distribution would certainly benefit from a working
RULE-ified Ubuntu to build on top of...

I will be presenting our progress (whatever that is) at the national
(U.S.) CTCNet (http://ctcnet.org/) conference in Cleveland.  It sounds
like I could be pitching a global GNU/Linux/Debian/Ubuntu/RULE/LTSP
solution.  I'm so excited!!!!

Now I just need 20 more hours in each day....  :-)

Jason

PS:  Marco--The quote in your sig is from Margaret Meade.  It's quoted
by almost every progressive/activist organization.  I have more often
seen it as "Never doubt that a small group of dedicated individuals can
change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."  Most
appropriate for the Free Software and Open Source movements, and the
RULE project!