[RULE] New attempt at "minimal install", now using Fedora Core 3, Release Candidate 5

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Nov 2 15:44:02 EET 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 11:39 +0100, Ingo Lantschner (Lists) wrote:
> Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > The problem with deleting perl is that some of the SELinux tools seem to require it.
> AFAIK SE-Linux is for bulding B-rated hosts according to the orange
> book. Do we really need this on a base-install?!

Well, anything that keeps the system more secure is a good thing in my
book. So yes, we *could* delete it, particularly since the targeted
policy currently in use primarily protects server processes like Apache
and others. That being said, if we can keep it I think that will be a
Good Thing [tm] now, and a Better Thing [tm] later.

> I'll try to do my best to test your packagelist with the new Slinky from
> Franz - I'll report asap.

Note that the package list posted online is the conservative one,
without the controversial removals. You can further hack into that one
to create a smaller install.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>