[RULE] Slinky/FC2 minimal install, was: slinky-0.4.02: install FC2 via...

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Tue Oct 5 19:28:14 EEST 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 13:07:36 PM +0200, Ingo Lantschner
(ingo.lists at vum.at) wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:21:17 +0200, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at mclink.it> wrote:
>

> >As far as I know, rpmdb should be missed. When it comes to
> >sendmail&friends, it really boils down to "does the box needs to
> >run a mail server?"
> I think the reason for rpmdb is the existence of whichcd.

Yes, but I mistyped my first reply, sorry. I meant more or less "rpmdb
could be removed without being missed". And whichcd with it, if it has
that implication.

> >If no, just remove it. But remember that lots of system utilities on
> >*nix needs some server to send email anyway (like notifying system
> >errors to root).
> In practical life, I did not need sendmail or any other MTA on my
> Desktops.

None at all? Not even to pass to a user account warnings about disk
quota or any diagnostic from the system?

> So I think we can skip and remove it completely.

OK, but then it's needed to:
1) warn the user of the issue above
2) warn that several mail client RPMs will not install unless forced
   if no MTA is available.

> kdrive is the same as TinyX - isn't it?
Yes.

Later,
	Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat & Fedora for low memory   http://www.rule-project.org/

It's always socially unacceptable to be right too soon. -- RAH

Rule Project HOME PAGE:  http://www.rule-project.org/en/
Rule-list at rule-project.org