Alternatives to Fedora Core, was: [RULE] APT, YUM...

Ingo Lantschner ingo.lists at vum.at
Fri Jul 30 18:20:22 EEST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:55:41 -0400, Da Worm <daworm at comcast.net> wrote:

> I built a Gentoo system on a Sparcstation 20 with
> a 60 MHz processor and 4 Gig drive.  The CLI portion took about a day,
> KDE took 10 days, non-stop.  Not many people are going to want to wait
> that long.  I did it to see if it could be done.  Well, yeah, it can,
> but why?
well, it can, if you have uninterupted power (electricity) for that long
time - but what about enviroments where the power breaks every hour or so?!

I think for our systems and projects we are forced to stick on precompiled
binaries - also because compiling adds one more step between the
IT-illiterate and the "user". The amount of what someone *must* learn, to
keep a system up and running on his or her own should be minimized as much
as possible - at least for our (VUM/BnB) clients.

Regards, Ingo.

Rule Project HOME PAGE:  http://www.rule-project.org/en/
Rule-list at rule-project.org