[RULE] does Slinky detect do ISA?

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Sun Feb 29 13:56:18 EET 2004

A couple of options:

kudzu, the RedHat hardware detect & configuration utility, will be able
to figure out some things, but not all.  The only way to know is to try.
  A basic install of Slinky-RULE provides it, I believe (but I need to
double-check).  Mandrake uses something similar called ldetect.

Kernel modules can often, but not always, determine the settings
automatically using the command "modprobe" but you need to know which
driver to try.

But a specific utility to determine the IRQ/IO/DMA settings for ISA
devices in general?  I do not know of any.  Indeed, many early ISA
devices cannot be probed - the devices were designed and built during
the era when the expectation was that physical jumpers or switches on
the cards would be set by a tech before installation.

For the old ISA 3Com cards, I was in the habit of creating a bootable
DOS disk and using the DOS-based config utility provided by 3Com to
probe and config the card once it was in a system.  It might work for
some of the other NICs you mention, but it is pretty labor intensive, to
be sure.

Sorry, that is about all I know on the subject.

CDR

Rule Project HOME PAGE:  http://www.rule-project.org/en/
Rule Development Site:   http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/rule/
Rule-list at nongnu.org