[RULE] Problem starting X (GUI)

Ingo Lantschner ingo at vum.at
Thu Apr 24 16:42:16 EEST 2003

Thanks to Michael for the report on how to set up Fluxbox. I finally
suceeded and it seems to be a really fast and handy Userinterface -
thanks again!

Following a small report, on how on how I worked it out, may be that
some of the experts can reviw it. It took me hours and may be that there
would have been some shortcuts.

---
Installing RH9 / Slinky 0.3.8 / Fluxbox
(GUI)"

A. I want: A running (!) GUI on P166/64MB machine

B. I have:
	* Slinky Images (get them from the Rule Homepage
	  http://www.rule-project.org)
	* RedHat CDs 1-3 Version 9 (Buy them or downlod them form the
	  RedHat Homepage)
	* Fast connection for some extra downloads from the Rule-homepage
	  (pathes given below)

1. I install RedHat 9 with Slinky 0.3.8
	w/ XFree(!)
	but w/o KDE, Gnome
  How to install with Slinky see Rule Install Guide on
  http://www.rule-project.org where you even get the diskimges for
  Slinky.

2. I install ("rpm -i <packetname>") the following additinal packets,
the order given below follows the dependencies. In the brackets you
finde the source for the packet. These lines were typed by hand, so may
be there are some typing-errors:

cabextract 0.6-1 ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/font-tool/)
ttmkfdir-3.0.9.1 (RH9-Disk1)
xf86-corefonts-0.2.1-2 ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/font-tool/)
expat-1.95.5-2 (RH9-Disk1)
fontconfig -2.1-9 (RH9-Disk1)
fluxbox-0.1.14 (http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/XFree86/fluxbox-0.1.14-1RULErh9.i386.rpm)
XFree86-TinyX-4.3.0-2 (http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/XFree86/kdrive/9/XFree86-TinyX-4.3.0-2RULErh9.i386.rpm)

desktop-file-utils-0.3-5 (RH9-Disk1)
switchdesk-3.9.8-15 (RH9-Disk1)
xinitrc-3.32-1 (RH9-Disk1)
XFree86-truetype-fonts-4.3.0-2 (RH9-Disk1)
XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-2 (RH9-Disk1)
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2 (RH9-Disk1)
XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2 (RH9-Disk1)
Glide3-20010520-25 (RH9-Disk1)
XFree86-xauth-4.3.0-2 (RH9-Disk1)
XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.3.0-2 (RH9-Disk1)
XFree86-libs-data-4.3.0-2 (RH9-Disk1)
cpp-3.2.2-5 (RH9-Disk1)

copy startx to /usr/X11R6/bin/ replacing the stock version.
rm /usr/X11R6/bin/X
ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa /usr/X11R6/bin/X
chmod +s /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa
cp xinitrc ~/.xinitrc
startx

"Once fluxbox is up, right click for a menu, select fluxbox-menu, select
configure, and enable antialias.
Marvel at the antialiased true type fonts. :)"
(c) Michael Fratoni
---
Ingo Lantschner

	Verein zur Unterstuetzung von Menschen