[RULE] Advocating RULE

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at mail.ariadne-t.gr
Mon Mar 24 21:27:42 EET 2003

> Still on the "PR" front, I'm glad to announce (**) that RULE was presented
> at an IT conference in Paris some weeks ago by Richard Kweskin. I'd
> like to thank here Richard for all his work, and of course will leave
> to him the pleasure to tell us how it went :-)
>
> I'll put online for general use the OpenOffice slides used in the
> conference, as they are a very good resource for introducing RULE.

Hello All

The event Marco refers to is an annual gathering of a group of schools,
(English is predominantly the language of instruction, almost always the
school is private and charges tuition fees, and most are located in Europe.)
As I used to work at such a school here in Athens I knew of the event and its
organizers (This time the American School of Paris played host.)

Free software, open source software and, in particular, the gnu/Linux
operating system, is beginning to be noticed by some of these schools. In
fact, when I proposed to speak about Rule, the response was, "great, it fits
right in with what is proposed as we have invited David Bucknell to present
his iteachnet and the advocacy of the use of free software for schools. As it
turned out David gave three different talks, using Redhat 8 and open office
1.0.1, two other presenters excluding myself also gave talks on and about
this.

Marco created the presentation using Impress and I downloaded it and added a
little bit to it. It was my first time using the software (I had never before
used any other presentation software actually.) The interface was a no
brainer.

On the last day David Bucknell and I decided to start a gnu/linux user's group
from the teachers who had expressed interest and it has provided a means by
which to continue keeping Rule visible together with the open offer of help.
(Even a small amount of experience can help those who know nothing.)

In conclusion, the talk was well received; the combination of a name like
Redhat carrying a credibility in the minds of administrators (who otherwise
know nothing of non-proprietary programing) and educational organisations
whose budgets are often small (and equipment often old) was too good to pass
up. Thank you Marco. Thank you Michael.

Richard

Rule Project HOME PAGE:  http://www.rule-project.org/en/
Rule Development Site:   http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/rule/