[RULE] do we need a spreadsheet of the software?

Jason Roysdon jroysdon at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 24 19:48:44 EET 2003

From: Colin Mattoon <cjm2 at lewiston.com>
Subject: Re: [RULE] do we need a spreadsheet of the software?
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:47:57 -0800

Just to add my own (non-expert and quite possibly, irrelevant)
observations here:

Network installtion is often vital for this class of equipment,
because low end hardware is more likely than new gear to lack a CDROM,
and the owner is less likely to have access to a CD-RW.  But I'm not a
big fan of Internet installs, even though I use Debian quite a bit.

I would encourage the developers to restrict network installations to
NFS and to advise all potentional users to download only once -- to a
machine that can act as an NFS server.  The first installation of RULE
(to setup an NFS server) should be something done from the hard drive.
Subsequent server and workstation installations can be performed
within the LAN through NFS.

*snip*

Later,
Colin Mattoon

I agree that Internet installations are a bad idea (too hard to troubleshoot
for end-users), but I disagree not allowing it to be from ftp.  There are a
ton of simple Windows ftpd clients out there which would make it very easy
for a new user who was slightly technical to install from ftp.  Personally I
have a very small free tftp/ftp/syslog client from 3Com that I use all the
time for router work called 3CDaemon:
http://support.3com.com/software/utilities_for_windows_32_bit.htm

Secondly, I'd guess that more folks have experience with an ftp server than
with NFS (which implies you have some sort of *nix server up and running
already).  Yes, in a classroom setting NFS makes the most sense, but for
someone just trying to get a network install up and working (no CD-ROM, but
has two PCs, and especially one being a Windows PC).

Just my two cents,
Jason Roysdon
http://jason.roysdon.net/

Rule Project HOME PAGE:  http://www.rule-project.org/en/