[Rule-list] TinyX and RULE

Liam Proven lproven at cix.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 07:20:38 EET 2002

> It's not KDE or Gnome, but it's fairly functional. It has the added
> bonus
> that the window manager is up and running in under 10 seconds.
> Both KDE and Gnome (Using the stock X server) took several minutes to
> load.

You might like to look at the Fast Light Window Manager, a more helpful
version of the ultra-minimal wm2. It's on Sourceforge. I'm running it
on a 486/75 with 40M here and it's quick.

http://flwm.sourceforge.net/

I'm also trying to get the Opera 6 browser working (as a smaller,
lighter alternative to Mozilla and faster and more functional than
Netscape 4) but it just segfaults on me.

http://www.opera.com/

I plan to put the Rox desktop on top of flwm. It should make it an
attractive and friendly environment that still runs acceptably on a
486. However, for now I am defeated by multiple dependency problems.
(I'm on SuSE 6.4, the only distribution I've found which will install
from SCSI CD onto my Thinkpad 701C "Butterfly".)

http://rox.sourceforge.net/

--
Liam Proven • Homepage: http://welcome.to/liamsweb
Tel: +44(0)20-8685-0498 • Mobile: +44(0)7939-087884
ICQ: 73187508 • MSN & alternative email: lproven at hotmail.com

Rule Development Site:   http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/rule/
Rule-list at nongnu.org