Fw: [Rule-list] Re: How to install? (Jorge L. Beker)

Raymundo Baquirin rayb at apc.edu.ph
Mon May 20 14:26:17 EEST 2002

Hi, Jorge,

On Sunday 19 May 2002 00:00, you wrote:
>  What is the difference betwwen miniconda and slinky?
I guess you mean, as far as mounting goes.  If that's the case then the
answer is that the boot disks in both are msdos file system images, so when
you do a loop mount it should be type msdos.

>  Do you know how to
>  extract the files that you say under DOS? Because I dont have a linux
>  machine! I cant install it!!!

As far as I know, you do have to boot a loop-aware linux kernel in order to
do a loop mount.  I have previously used looplinux
(http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/).  There are complete
instructions at the site but basically all you need is to download the file
loopslak.bin and the Slackware kernel of your choice (all Slackware kernels
have loop support).

Then you can do:
	loadlin bzImage initrd=loopslak.bin root=/dev/ram0

After logging in as root do:
	mkdir /mnt/win /mnt/floppy
	mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win     		# mount your windows partition
	cd /mnt/win/rule/miniconda/7.3        		# or wherever the boot.img file is
	mount -t msdos boot.img /mnt/floppy -o loop  	# loop mount the floppy image
	cd /mnt/floppy
	ls						# this should show vmlinuz and initrd.img
							# w/c you can copy to your win partition
HTH,
Ray

Rule Development Site:   http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/rule/
Rule-list at mail.freesoftware.fsf.org