Parembash SEPE

Nick Demou ndemou at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 00:55:46 EET 2009

2009/11/9 Christos Ricudis <ricudis at itc.auth.gr>:
> [...]
> vendor lock-in : Apaksiwtikos oros pou xrhsimopoieitai apo to opensource
> marketing  sthn prospa8eia tou na poulhsei ston kosmo kati pou aytos pote
> den zhthse
.
Σίγουρα δεν χρησιμοποιείται μόνο από το opensource marketing και όσο
για το ότι ο κόσμος ποτέ δεν ενοχλήθηκε από το vendor lock-in υποθέτω
ότι είναι ουρανοκατέβατη πεποίθηση σου.

Α)
Αποτελέσματα 1 - 10 από περίπου 1.350.000 για vendor lock-in -"open
source" -"free software" -"floss" -oss

Β)
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=SPEECH/08/317:

Neelie Kroes
European Commissioner for Competition Policy

[...]
Look at Apple. Over the last couple of years there have been some
calls to regulate Apple - in particular to ensure some
interoperability between competing music stores and its iPod music
players, and between competing music players and music from the iTunes
store.

The issue arose because first, the music labels insisted that Apple
used digital rights management technology, and then second, Apple's
iPod was a tremendous success. But now the major labels have licensed
other music stores to provide music in MP3 format, a format that can
play on the iPod and on other players. So pressure from consumers, and
possibly concern from the major labels about over-reliance on Apple,
looks to have led to a timely market-based solution.

This is important. If consumers can avoid lock-in to a single vendor,
by exercising influence through purchasing behaviour, they may be wise
to do so.

As purchasers, we need to be smart when we buy technology. We need to
be aware of the long term costs of lock-in: you are often locked-in to
subsequent generations of that technology. There can also be
spill-over effects where you get locked in to other products and
services provided by that vendor.

--
"The software is licensed, not sold" -- MICROSOFT LICENSE TERMS