Fwd: Slackware 11.0 is released!

Christos Ricudis ricudis at komodino.itc.auth.gr
Tue Oct 3 14:04:16 EEST 2006

DJ Art wrote:

> Announcing Slackware Linux 11!

The Paleontology Linux Society in association with the Historical Linux
Project and the Archaeology Association of America is proud to announce
the release of Slackware Linux 11.

> The first Slackware release more than a year in the making, this
> edition of Slackware combines Slackware's legendary simplicity,
> stability, and security with some of the latest advances in Linux
> technology.  Expect no less than the best Slackware yet...

... packaged in an endless series of 1.44mb-sized [A-Z][0-9]+ - named
directories for easy installation using the magnetic medium of choice of
the most prominent professional h at xx0rZ in the world.

> Among the many program updates and distribution enhancements, you'll
> find two of the most advanced desktop environments available today:
> Xfce 4.2.3.2, a fast and lightweight but visually appealing and easy
> to use desktop environment,

and the slackware-enhanced version of twm with special visual add-ons
designed by the cooperation of Slackware organization with the Blind
Computer Users Society, aiming to provide both a heritage-rich user
experience and unparalleled simplicity, while assisting the user to
learn how to correctly format X11 property files to add a menu entry.

> and KDE 3.5.4, the latest version of the
> award-winning K Desktop Environment.
>
> Slackware uses the 2.4.33.3 kernel bringing you advanced performance
> features

in a small, manageable and time-proven kernel version, unlike other
distributions including dangerous and unproven 2.6-series kernels that
cannot be fit in our 1.44-MB distribution policy and have never passed
the rigorous stress testing procedure of the million users of the
slackware community...

> such as the ReiserFS journaling filesystem,

designed to provide you with endless hours of advancement of your
technical knowledge and continuing computer science education while
trying to search for and salvage your data from corrupted b-trees,

> SCSI and ATA RAID volume support, SATA support, and kernel support for X DRI (the Direct Rendering Interface) that brings high-speed hardware accelerated 3D graphics to Linux.

provided that you own one of the new advanced VGA cards that are
supported by X11R4 DRI, like the brand new Tseng VESA local bus or ATI
VGA Wonder graphics cards.

> Additional kernels allow installing Slackware
> using any of the journaling filesystems available for Linux, including
> ext3, ReiserFS, IBM's JFS, and SGI's XFS.

Development is pending on supporting the installation of Slackware in
other file system formats like Minix FS to facilitate the continued
dedication of the slackware community to time-proven standards.

> Slackware 11.0 also fully
> supports the 2.6 kernel series, with your choice of the well-tested
> 2.6.17.13 kernel in /extra (including a version of this kernel that
> supports multiple processors, multi-core CPUs, HyperThreading, and
> about every other optimization available), or the recently released
> 2.6.18 kernel in /testing.  This kernel also spent a long time in
> development and in our own testing has proven to be fast, stable,
> and reliable.

However the 2.4.33.3.333 series of kernels will still be supported for
users that prefer stability over functionality, while we complete the
ongoing work of porting the 0.98 series of kernels to the PDP-11
hardware architecture, pending for inclusion in Slackware 12.

> All of these kernels may be used with Slackware's CD/DVD based
> installation system, and NFS network installs may be done using the
> 2.6.17.13 (huge26.s) kernel.

*WARNING*. To facilitate this special mode of installation, you will
need to provide yourself with an advanced computer periphery
installation called "Computer Networking". Slackware is designed to
assist you on installing itself over the network, provided that you
already have such an installation. For new users trying to install
Slackware over NFS and are lacking the necessary networking
infrastructure, we suggest a medium-cost solution consisting of two
high-speed full-size 8bit ISA RS232 cards, a null modem cable, and the
time-proven, simple and consistent SLIP protocol supported by slackware.

> - From the beginning, Slackware has offered a stable and secure Linux
> distribution for UNIX veterans as well as an easy-to-use system for
> beginners.  Slackware includes everything you'll need to run a
> powerful server or workstation.  Each Slackware package follows the
> setup and installation instructions from its author(s) as closely as
> possible, offering you the most stable and easily expandable setup.
>
> Here are some of the advanced features of Slackware 11.0:
>
> - - Runs the 2.4.33.3 version of the Linux kernel from ftp.kernel.org.

We also have patched the 2.4.33.3 version of the Linux kernel to support
features that are often requested from the slackware community, like
magnetic core memory and punch cards. The default slackware TERM
settings are optimized for use on the legendary and stable ASR-33
teletype terminal that most of our users use. Development is pending for
booting slackware on the ENIAC platform, including a detailed schematic
guide on AWG24 cable rewiring. The documentation accompanying Slackware
11 even includes a comprehensive guide of porting the entire system
(including the required Turing support) in Karnaugh tables, facilitating
the use of slackware in the solid-state, discrete digital logic
platforms our users have always used and love.

>    Special kernels were prepared to support hardware such as SCSI
>    controllers, SATA controllers, USB keyboards and mice, parallel-port
>    IDE devices, IBM PS/2 machines with the Microchannel bus, and even
>    speech synthesizers providing access to Linux for the visually
>    impaired community.

Thanks to our additional, Slackware-exclusive kernel modules included by
default on your Slackware installation, you can even use your light pen
on your IBM PC or IBM PC-JR as an input method, as well as your 84-key
IBM PC keyboard.

> - - System binaries are linked with the GNU C Library, version 2.3.6.
>    This version of glibc also has excellent compatibility with
>    existing binaries.

This new feature was introduced on Slackware 11 thanks to the excellent
job of  Ulrich Drepper and others that have provided the Linux system
with the necessary infrastructure to support dynamically loaded
libraries, a novel concept allowing common parts of executable programs
to share common library code. For example, on a typical usage scenario,
a Slackware user can concurrently run the new, dynamically linked
versions of nmap, brutessh, brutessh2, ethereal AND aircrack-ng at the
same time, consuming only 1/5 of the library space used on a similar
scenario using statically linked binaries!!!!!!!!!111111oneoneone

> - - Installs gcc-3.4.6 as the default C, C++, Objective-C, Fortran-77,
>    and Ada 95 compiler.

The Slackware edition of gcc-3.4.6 is produced by replacing JUST ONE
NUMBER from the stock, proven and stable gcc-1.4.6 release, unless other
distributions that include newer versions of this important compiler
part of the system, encompassing thousand of untested and unproven code
changes over the Slackware GCC edition.

> - - Support for fully encrypted network connections with OpenSSL,
>    OpenSSH, and GnuPG.
>
> - - Apache 1.3.37 web server with Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support,
>    SSL, and PHP.
>
> - - PCMCIA, CardBus, and APM support for laptops. (pcmcia-cs-3.2.8
>    and pcmciautils-014).  Slackware also now includes hotplug and
>    udev support.  This locates and configures most hardware
>    automatically as it is added (or removed) from the system.
>    It also loads the kernel modules required by sound cards and
>    other hardware at boot time.

Note that you might need to manually configure IRQs and port addresses
on your ISA expansion cards in order to be correctly recognized and
supported by Slackware. We have provided an excellent giode on
configuring commonly found ISA adapters like NE1000, MDA, Winchester MFM
and SCSI controllers, Hercules graphics cards with or without parallel
port, and most RS232 expansion cards.

> - - New development tools, including Perl 5.8.8, Python 2.4.3,
>    Ruby 1.8.4, Subversion 1.4.0, and graphical tools like
>    Qt designer and KDevelop.
>
> - - Updated versions of the Slackware package management tools make it
>    easy to add, remove, upgrade, and make your own Slackware packages.
>    Package tracking makes it easy to upgrade from Slackware 10.2 to
>    Slackware 11.0 (see UPGRADE.TXT).  The slackpkg tool in /extra can
>    also help update from an older version of Slackware to a newer one,
>    and keep your Slackware system up to date.  In addition, the
>    slacktrack utility (in extra/) will help you build and maintain
>    your own packages.

The novel package management tool used in Slackware, called TAR, offers
more versatility and advanced features over the previous package
management using dd dircectly from the magnetic media device to the
output path. New features include variable block size support for the
newly-introduced 1/8'' magnetic tape reels, for users lucky enough to
have brought such a unit.

> - - Web browsers galore!  Includes KDE's Konqueror 3.5.4,
>    SeaMonkey 1.0.5 (this is the new replacement for the Mozilla
>    Suite), and the immensely popular Firefox 1.5.0.7, as well as
>    the Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 email and news client with advanced
>    junk mail filtering.

For users still wishing to experience the newly introducted WWW in it's
original form, we have also included a brand new version of the Mosaic
web browser, brought to you by the excellent work on National Center of
Supercomputing Applications.

> - - The complete K Desktop Environment (KDE) version 3.5.4, including
>    the KOffice productivity suite, networking tools, GUI development
>    with KDevelop, multimedia tools (including the amazing Amarok
>    music player), the Konqueror web browser and file manager, dozens
>    of games and utilities, international language support, and more.
>
> - - A collection of GTK+ based applications including gaim-1.5.0,
>     gimp-2.2.13, gkrellm-2.2.9, gxine-0.5.7, xchat-2.6.6, xsane-0.991,
>     and pan-0.14.2.91.
>
> - - Large repository of extra software packages compiled and ready to
>    run.  This includes various window managers, the K3b CD burning
>    application for KDE, the Java(TM) 2 Software Development Kit
>    Standard Edition, libsafe (advanced buffer overflow protection for
>    additional security), ISDN support, additional 802.11 drivers, and
>    much more (see the /extra directory).
>
> - - Many more improved and upgraded packages than we can list here.
>  For a complete list of core packages in Slackware 11.0, see this file:
>
>      ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-11.0/PACKAGES.TXT
>
> - - Another Slackware exclusive:  Slackware's ZipSlack installation
>    option is the fastest, _easiest_ Linux installation ever.  ZipSlack
>    provides a basic text-based Linux system as a 70 megabyte ZIP
>  archive. Simply unzip on any FAT or FAT32 partition, edit your boot
>  partition in the LINUX.BAT batch file, and you can be running Linux in
>  less than five minutes.  The ZipSlack installation includes everything
>  you need to network with Linux (including Ethernet, token ring, and
>  PPP), and extend the system with additional software packages such as
>  X.  A ZipSlack system will even fit on a 250MB Zip(TM) disk, so you
>  can carry a personal Linux system with you to run on any PC with a
>  250MB Zip(TM) drive.
>

> Downloading Slackware 11.0:
> - ---------------------------
>
> The full version of Slackware Linux 11.0 is available for download from
> the central Slackware FTP sites hosted by our friends at www.cwo.com
> and osuosl.org:
>
>     ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-11.0/
>     ftp://slackware.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-11.0/
>
> The ZipSlack version of Slackware can be downloaded from:
>
>     ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-11.0/zipslack/
>     ftp://slackware.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-11.0/zipslack/
>
> If the sites are busy, see the list of official mirror sites here:
>
>     http://slackware.com/getslack/
>
> We will be setting up BitTorrent downloads for the official ISO images.
> Stay tuned to http://slackware.com for the latest updates.

Watch out this space for more downloading options for Slackware 12
available soon, like our exclusive 1200 baud BBS, and special download
options for Compuserve, Tymnet, WELL, and The Source users. FidoNET
users will be delighted to know that Slackware 12 will be soon be
available for file requests on the SLACKWARE FidoNET File Echo,
available on your nearest FidoNET hub.

> Purchasing Slackware on CD-ROM:
> - -------------------------------
>
> Or, purchase the Slackware Linux 11.0 six CD-ROM set directly from
> Slackware Linux, and you'll be helping to support the continued
> development of Slackware Linux!  :-)
>
> This is the official release of Slackware on CD-ROM, and has many
> enhanced features, including:
>
>   -  Easy bootable CD-ROM installation.  If your machine can boot a
>      CD-ROM, just boot the first disc to begin the installation
>  process. -  The ZipSlack edition of Slackware Linux 11.0.
>   -  The source code used to build Slackware Linux 11.0.
>
> The price for the Slackware Linux CD-ROM set is $39.95 plus shipping.

Note that this price includes only the distribution CD-ROM. You will
need to separately purchase an adequate amount of single-density,
single-sided, 5.25 floppy disks to write each one of the 160kb disk
images provided on the CD-ROM, before proceeding to the installation of
Slackware through your usual installation method (Note that you will
only be able to use drive A:)

Christos Ricudis				ricudis at itc.auth.gr
Systems Administrator				+30-2310-998656
IT Support Center
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, GREECE