usb disk kai filesystem

Spiros Bolis sbolis at freemail.gr
Thu Aug 11 18:22:44 EEST 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2005-08-11 17:51, Spiros Bolis <sbolis at freemail.gr> wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Harris Kosmidhs wrote:
> > > enan 200 kai na ton balo me e3oteriko me USB2 se mia 8hkh pou exo. Ston
> >
> > yparxei kapoios periorismos (sto p'ws ginetai to addresing) sta e3wterika
> > koytia kai den yposthrizoyn panw apo 120GB (kapoia apo ayta toylaxiston)
>
> Anafores, parakalw?  Exei endiaferon to thema.

http://groups.google.com.gr/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage/browse_thread/thread/9751f363cc85b19d/da184dc7b66fd919?lnk=st&q=external+disk+USb+LBA++limit&rnum=2&hl=el#da184dc7b66fd919

 (1) Is the 128/137 GB limit (because of 28-bit addressing) - a limit on
 | partition size or a limit on how much of the disk is visible to the
 | system?  In other words, if I had a 160GB drive, could I partition it
 | into two usable 80GB partitions, even with a system capable only of
 | 28-bit addressing?

 It's a drive limit. Partitioning does not get around it.

 You could create those two partitions with a disk editor, but the
 second would be inaccessable.

 | (2)  I bought a USB2 drive kit (external) that lets me use an IDE
 drive
 | through a USB2 cable.  The documentation says: "There is a maximum
 | capacity of 127GB drive for USB 2.0, and a maximum capacity of 160GB
 | drive for 1394(firewire)."  Is this really true?  (especially for USB
 2)

 No, both USB and Firewire use 32-bit LBA (2TB). The firmware in the IDE
 bridge
 determines if ATA lba-28 or lba-48 is used. The lessor limit applies.

http://www.48bitlba.com/issues.htm

 With 48-bit LBA technology disk drives can now be built with capacities
 greater than 137 GB. The 48-bit LBA enhancement to the ATA interface
 means system software can now access data beyond the 137 GB limit.
 Because 48-bit LBA is an enhancement to the ATA interface
 specification, any system software that needs to access these 48-bit
 LBA hard drives must be modified to support 48-bit LBA enhancements to
 the ATA interface specification. Two major classes of system software
 that are affected by 48-bit LBA are the BIOS and operating system. The
 BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is firmware on the system's
 motherboard which tests and initializes basic chipset hardware and
 boots the operating system such as Windows XP.

 If you are installing a new 48-bit LBA hard drive on your system you
 may need to upgrade your system BIOS and/or your operating system
 depending upon how you are installing the drive on your system and what
 operating system you are using. You will need to pay attention to
 whether you are installing the hard drive with a new operating system
 which will boot from the drive or simply adding it as an additional
 drive to an existing system for extra storage capacity. Regarding the
 operating system some versions of Microsoft Windows do not support
 48-bit LBA drives at all where some do but only if you install the
 latest Service Pack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_block_addressing