Ask Microsoft's Linux Lab Manager

Spiros Bolis sbolis at freemail.gr
Tue Aug 9 03:00:47 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Spiros Bolis wrote:

> Oi erwthseis me th megalyterh bathmologia mesw slashdot tha metaferthoyn
> ston Microsoft Linux Lab Manager Bill Hilf gia na tis apanthsei

apanthse
http://interviews.slashdot.org/interviews/05/08/08/1247220.shtml?tid=109&tid=11&tid=106

oi apanthseis exoyn perasei apo to PR ths Microsoft alla ayto de
shmainei kai tipota. aplws tha frontisan na mhn efyge kamia xontrada

Endiaferonta shmeia:

"Microsoft strongly supports the promotion of open standards."
(moyxaxaxaxa. ti na prwtopoyme? Java? SMB? Office? NTFS?)

"Companies such as Apple Computer and Microsoft have invested large
amounts of money in human interface studies, and although much of this
information has been made readily accessible to the public, it would
appear that very little of that information has been put to good use by
F/OSS developers. "

"I can't confirm what functionality will be in what version of Windows
Vista. However, I can confirm that the next-generation of several
components of Services for UNIX are being integrated into Windows Server
2003 R2. The NFS client, NFS Server, User/Name Mapping, Telnet Server &
Client, Password Sync and NIS Server components of Services for UNIX are
all present in the Windows Server 2003 R2 builds. In addition, a
revamped POSIX subsystem, the "Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications" or
"SUA" is also available as an optional install in R2. " (telnet? poy zei
o arxaios! Kata ta alla, natane h zhlia pswra... a, gia to nomad -
kainoyrgio shell, meigma bash kai .net - bghkan hdh 5 ioi ws
proof-of-concept)

"If someone in the OSS community runs into a technical interoperability
problem with Microsoft products, I want to know about it. In many cases,
we'll be able to do something to resolve the issue." "If you'd like to
contact me directly, I can be reached at billhilf at microsoft dot com."

Apanthse panw s' ayto enas typos apo to devel team toy samba
Thanks Bill. So how about the IDL files for all the undocumented
Microsoft RPC services your clients depend on for login as well as the
"standards" based parts of login ?

We're still waiting.... no, we won't go away :-).

Knowing about it doesn't help if you never *do* anything about it.

Cheers,

Jeremy Allison,
Samba Team.