Statefull Packer Inspection against any kind of Malware!

beatnik beatnik at mail.gr
Wed Aug 11 14:49:28 EEST 2004

Lets assume that i do not want to run critical security updates (patches)
by Micro$oft.

a) I was wondering if just a firewall can save my ass without even using
AV. Is there a WinXp firewall tool with stafefull packet inspection that i
will configure it to accept inbound traffic only as a respond to mine
previous outbound connection?

b) If there is one, then i would like it also that firewall to inspect each
incoming packet to my network interface and if the data portion of the
packet matches a virus/trojan/worm/ or anykind of malware packet then
simply it will have to drop it of.

That way even if i deliberately choose to open a virus infected link or a
worm infected attachment my OS still be in no danger at all even without
running an AV or Pacthes!

I think this is a logical demand and we dont have to search every day for
pacthes to secure our holes in our OS instead will leave the firewall to
update his database automatically.

Antivirus Packages after all dont work as they should in my opinion!. They
wait for your machine to get infected with a virus which is stored in a hdd
file and then because they have a scannable object in their hands, only
then, they can delete the damn thing....

I beleive Statefull Packer Inspection by examining the contents of the ip
packets data portion against a malware(trojan/worm/virus) database that
would update it self periodically would be a far more secure approach.
No?!?!

What you guys think of of it? Am i asking too much?

--
Just because I can, doesnt mean I will.
Just because I dont, doesnt mean I cant.