Αφιέρωμα Linux!!!

V13 v13 at priest.com
Fri Mar 7 02:46:01 EET 2003

On Thursday 06 March 2003 23:14, Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
> On Thursday 06 March 2003 13:52, Michael Iatrou wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Εξάλλου, μην τρελαινόμαστε, για το RAM πρόκειται, αν μια φορά κάθε 18
> > μήνες δεν έχουν κανένα "πιασάδικο" θέμα [0] και γράφουν για το Linux
> > δεν πρέπει να τους δώσουμε και βραβείο!
>
> Ειδικά τώρα που το keyword "Linux" έχει γίνει τόσο sexy. Δείτε το
> http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_09/b3822602_tc102.htm,
> εδώ έκανε πολύ εντύπωση. (ασχέτως του ότι, όπως συνήθως, αυτός που το
> έγραψε έχει μπερδέψει τ'αυγά με τα πασχάλια...)

Δύο πράγματα που έκανα εντύπωση:

α) Last September, Regal Cinemas, which owns 520 theaters in 36 states,
replaced its old electronic cash registers with inexpensive computers based
on Linux to link its concession stands to its back-end accounting systems.
Papa John's has just done the same at its 2,900 pizzerias nationwide to get
more mileage out of its old hardware, since Linux demands far less processing
power than rival Microsoft (MSFT ) Windows. Not only that, but Linux is
so-called open-source software that's usually free and -- just as important
-- much more customizable than Windows.

β) Από την SUN (κάτι ετοιμάζουν):
We'll also let you know as our Mad Hatter project takes off. We've got
significant interest from our customers, especially those running
large-scale, heavily transactional sites such as help desks and call centers.
They don't need the bells and whistles, but most of all they don't need the
expense of a Windows desktop. Mad Hatter is aimed squarely at them. We plan
to start shipping in the summer, so we'll let you know what the response is
like.

> -A
<<V13>>