foo

V13 v13 at priest.com
Tue Jun 10 21:36:01 EEST 2003

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 19:09, George Daflidis-Kotsis wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 05:51:17PM +0300, Giannakis Eleftherios wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:42:42PM +0000, Papadogiannakis Vagelis wrote:
> > > exeite katantisei fubar
> >
> > Ti shmainei auto?
>
> fubr : F*ck3d Up Beyond Recognition. Proferetai "foobar"

fubar: F*** up beyond _all_ recognition...

... kai den einai to idio me to "foo bar"

Apo to foldoc:

=========
FUBAR

 1. (WWII military slang) Fucked up beyond all recognition (or repair).

See foobar.

2. <hardware> The Failed UniBus Address Register in a VAX. A good example of
how jargon can occasionally be snuck past the suits.

Larry Robinson <lrobins at indiana.edu> reports the following nonstandard use for
FUBAR:

One day somebody got mad at the card reader (or card eater that day) on our
Univac 3200. He taped a sign, "This thing is FUBAR", on the metal weight that
sits on the stack of unread cards. The sign stayed there for over a year. One
day, somebody said, "Don't forget to put the fubar on top of the stack". It
stuck! We called that weight the fubar until they took away the machine. The
replacement card reader had two spring loaded card clamps, one for the feed
and one for the return, and we called THOSE fubars until we dumped punch
cards.

Incidently, the way he taped the sign on the weight made up for the lack of a
little nylon piece that was missing from it, and fixed the card reader.
That's why the sign stayed there.
=========

=========
foobar

 Another common metasyntactic variable; see foo. Hackers do *not* generally
use this to mean FUBAR in either the slang or jargon sense.
=========

=========
foo

 <jargon> /foo/ A sample name for absolutely anything, especially programs and
files (especially scratch files). First on the standard list of metasyntactic
variables used in syntax examples. See also bar, baz, qux, quux, corge,
grault, garply, waldo, fred, plugh, xyzzy, thud.

The etymology of "foo" is obscure. When used in connection with "bar" it is
generally traced to the WWII-era Army slang acronym FUBAR, later bowdlerised
to foobar.

However, the use of the word "foo" itself has more complicated antecedents,
including a long history in comic strips and cartoons.

"FOO" often appeared in the "Smokey Stover" comic strip by Bill Holman. This
surrealist strip about a fireman appeared in various American comics
including "Everybody's" between about 1930 and 1952. FOO was often included
on licence plates of cars and in nonsense sayings in the background of some
frames such as "He who foos last foos best" or "Many smoke but foo men chew".

Allegedly, "FOO" and "BAR" also occurred in Walt Kelly's "Pogo" strips. In the
1938 cartoon "The Daffy Doc", a very early version of Daffy Duck holds up a
sign saying "SILENCE IS FOO!". Oddly, this seems to refer to some approving
or positive affirmative use of foo. It has been suggested that this might be
related to the Chinese word "fu" (sometimes transliterated "foo"), which can
mean "happiness" when spoken with the proper tone (the lion-dog guardians
flanking the steps of many Chinese restaurants are properly called "fu
dogs").

Earlier versions of this entry suggested the possibility that hacker usage
actually sprang from "FOO, Lampoons and Parody", the title of a comic book
first issued in September 1958, a joint project of Charles and Robert Crumb.
Though Robert Crumb (then in his mid-teens) later became one of the most
important and influential artists in underground comics, this venture was
hardly a success; indeed, the brothers later burned most of the existing
copies in disgust. The title FOO was featured in large letters on the front
cover. However, very few copies of this comic actually circulated, and
students of Crumb's "oeuvre" have established that this title was a reference
to the earlier Smokey Stover comics.

An old-time member reports that in the 1959 "Dictionary of the TMRC Language",
compiled at TMRC there was an entry that went something like this:

FOO: The first syllable of the sacred chant phrase "FOO MANE PADME HUM." Our
first obligation is to keep the foo counters turning.

For more about the legendary foo counters, see TMRC. Almost the entire staff
of what became the MIT AI LAB was involved with TMRC, and probably picked the
word up there.

Another correspondant cites the nautical construction "foo-foo" (or
"poo-poo"), used to refer to something effeminate or some technical thing
whose name has been forgotten, e.g. "foo-foo box", "foo-foo valve". This was
common on ships by the early nineteenth century.

Very probably, hackish "foo" had no single origin and derives through all
these channels from Yiddish "feh" and/or English "fooey".
=========

kai:

=========
metasyntactic variable

 <grammar> Strictly, a variable used in metasyntax, but often used for any
name used in examples and understood to stand for whatever thing is under
discussion, or any random member of a class of things under discussion. The
word foo is the canonical example. To avoid confusion, hackers never (well,
hardly ever) use "foo" or other words like it as permanent names for
anything.

In filenames, a common convention is that any filename beginning with a
metasyntactic-variable name is a scratch file that may be deleted at any
time.

To some extent, the list of one's preferred metasyntactic variables is a
cultural signature. They occur both in series (used for related groups of
variables or objects) and as singletons. Here are a few common signatures:

foo, bar, baz, quux, quuux, quuuux...: MIT/Stanford usage, now found
everywhere. At MIT (but not at Stanford), baz dropped out of use for a while
in the 1970s and '80s. A common recent mutation of this sequence inserts qux
before quux.

bazola, ztesch: Stanford (from mid-'70s on).

foo, bar, thud, grunt: This series was popular at CMU. Other CMU-associated
variables include ack, barf, foo, and gorp.

foo, bar, fum: This series is reported to be common at Xerox PARC.

fred, barney: See the entry for fred. These tend to be Britishisms.

toto, titi, tata, tutu: Standard series of metasyntactic variables among
francophones.

corge, grault, flarp: Popular at Rutgers University and among GOSMACS hackers.

zxc, spqr, wombat: Cambridge University (England).

shme: Berkeley, GeoWorks, Ingres. Pronounced /shme/ with a short /e/.

foo, bar, zot: Helsinki University of Technology, Finland.

blarg, wibble: New Zealand

Of all these, only "foo" and "bar" are universal (and baz nearly so). The
compounds foobar and "foobaz" also enjoy very wide currency.

Some jargon terms are also used as metasyntactic names; barf and mumble, for
example.

See also Commonwealth Hackish for discussion of numerous metasyntactic
variables found in Great Britain and the Commonwealth.

(1995-11-13)
 =========

<<V13>>