[Fwd: Greek in Konqueror 3.1/kde 3.1]

Yannis Kotsinos zookie at med.auth.gr
Mon Feb 3 04:40:02 EET 2003

On Monday 03 February 2003 02:40, Nikos Charonitakis forwarded the following:

>> Chris Hart <chriscorp at web.de> wrote
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just installed (with some problems) KDE 3.1 on SuSE 8.1, and Konqueror
>> displays correctly www.enet.gr but not ta-nea.dolnet.gr . I can read
>> ta-nea.dolnet.gr correctly in Mozilla. Any ideas?
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chris

The splash - index page of the "ta-nea.dolnet.gr" website consists of 3 frames
and uses the correct meta-header to notify the browser of the correct
encoding, as seen from it's source file:

  <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-7">

However, the individual frames have this meta-header commented out. You can
check this out yourself by right clicking on them and viewing the frame
source. ie.: this one is from the left frame (notice the comment tag):

<!-- META (...snip... ) charset=iso-8859-7" -->

I just tested it with Konqueror using the following three default encodings
(Settings->Configure Konqueror->Fonts->Default Encoding)

-  ISO-8859-7: All correctly displayed, as expected.
-  ISO-8859-1: All garbled.
-  Use Language Encoding: All correctly displayed.

This leads me to believe that mozilla by default probably forces the
container's specified encoding on the contained frames if it's omitted, while
Konqueror on the other hand assumes your default charset for each contained
frame, which in this case is not the greek charset (except when the default
encoding is set to option 3 from above which seems to emulate mozilla's
behaviour).

On a sidenote though, every standard conforming browser is expected to switch
to the explicitly declared in each page's META header charset, so bottomline:
They are to blame for ommiting it in every frame :)

This is purely - as you can see - an HTML approach and I am assuming that
greek support on your system is properly configured (which seems to be the
case, as, you mentioned that the other website shows up correctly).

HTH.

--
I'd like to meet the man who invented sex and see what he's working on now.
Running FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE | mailto:zookie at med.auth.gr
3:22рм up 43 mins, 1 user, load averages: 0,09 0,12 0,08