Samba & Win2k

Famelis George famelis at eetaa.gr
Mon Mar 6 16:43:05 EET 2000

Ãåéá ÷áñÜ

Óôï óçìåñéíü (6/3/2000) åâäïìáäéáßï äåëôßï ôçò SecurityPortal.com
áíáöÝñïíôáé ôá ðáñáêÜôù:

: ZDNet: Kerberos made to heel to Windows 2000
: <http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/8/ns-13702.html>  - Microsoft uses
the open Internet security standard in its Windows 2000 operating
: system and makes modifications without openly documenting its changes

Óôï êåßìåíï áõôü ôïõ ZDNet (28/2/2000) áíáöÝñïíôáé ìåôáîý Üëëùí êáé ôá
ðáñáêÜôù ó÷åôéêÜ ìå êÜðïéåò "óõìðëçñþóåéò" ðïõ Ý÷åé êÜíåé ç Microsoft
óôï Kerberos. Åßíáé ðéèáíü áõôÞ íá åßíáé êáé ç áéôßá ðïõ äåí ìðïñåßò íá
äåßò ôï Samba server ðïõ åßíáé óôï Linux.

: Microsoft ties the Window 2000 client to a Windows
: 2000 server through a Microsoft-specific version of
: Kerberos, so that existing users of Kerberos on Unix
: systems in the financial industry or academic
: community -- where Kerberos is predominantly found
: -- "are in a place of hurt," Ts'o said.
:
: Furthermore, developers, such as Jeremy Allison, lead
: programmer of the open source Samba file exchange
: system for Linux and Windows NT, can't take
: advantage of the Microsoft changes and build them into
: products that work with Windows 2000. "They're
: saying if you want all the features of the Windows
: 2000 client, you have to go to one of our [Windows
: 2000] servers," said Allison, a professional services
: consultant at VA Linux. "It's a subtle extension of their
: monopoly power."
: ...
: But Allison said that while Microsoft has assured him
: that the changes will be made public, he countered, "I
: will believe it when I see it."
: ...
: Boettcher (Windows 2000 product manager at Microsoft)
: added that both Unix workstations and
: Windows 2000 desktops may log into the Windows
: 2000 server. But Windows 2000 desktops cannot log
: into a Unix Kerberos server and receive access to
: Windows 2000 resources, such as file and print, he
: said.

Ãåéá ÷áñÜ

Ãéþñãïò ÖáìÝëçò
famelis at eetaa.gr