Debian with FreeBSD kernel

Nikos Mavroyanopoulos nmav at hellug.gr
Wed Nov 24 12:43:19 EET 1999

----- Forwarded message from Joey Hess <joeyh at debian.org> -----

From: Joey Hess <joeyh at debian.org>
To: debian-news at lists.debian.org
Subject: Debian Weekly News - November 23rd, 1999

Debian Weekly News
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/current/issue/
Debian Weekly News - November 23rd, 1999

[...]

Debian with the FreeBSD kernel was the subject of a heated week-long
discussion. It seems that since this idea was first [12]conceived in
February, a few people have been working on the port. The status of
their work can be read about [13]here. Basically, they are using the
FreeBSD kernel and libc, and recompiling Debian packages to work on
that system. Reactions varied. John Goerzen [14]worries that a version
of Debian based on a BSD copyrighted kernel would open the door to
third parties taking our work and making it proprietary, and also that
"we are essentially giving first aid to software that is dying (and
rightfully so) because of its license". Many others disagree with him
and have no problems with the BSD license. Others [15]wonder if it
wouldn't be technically better, and easier in the long run, to port
glibc to FreeBSD, and allow Debian packages to be used unchanged with
that kernel and library combination.

12. http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/current/8/#freebsd

[...]

--
see shy jo

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-news-request at lists.debian.org

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Nikos Mavroyanopoulos
mailto:nmav at hellug.gr
I may not be perfect, but parts of me are excellent.
Gia boithia (h na diagrafhte) e-mail sto majordomo at hellug.gr