GIMP kai ellhnika...

Nickos Venturas venturas at csd.uoc.gr
Tue Nov 23 03:27:16 EET 1999

Galanakis Dimitris wrote:

> Pws estises ta true type fonts? Mipws mporeis na mou peis pou tha brw
> documentation gia na kanw to idio? (RH6.1)

 Sorry pou arghsa na apanthsw alla eleipa autes tis meres...

 Loipon 8a sou dwsw tis odhgies pou akolou8hsa gia na sthsw true type
ston xfs
(erxetai mazi me to Red Hat). Egw exw to 6.0, alla pistevw oti 8a
doulepsei kai
sto 6.1).

 To tutorial to eixa brei sto linux documentation project, sta
Mini-Howtos san:
"XFree86 Font Deuglification Mini HOW-TO", twra omws pou 3anapahga to
exoun afai-
resei gia kapoio mysthrio logo:

First step is to add TrueType Fonts to your linux filesystem. Su to
root, and make
a directory to hold the fonts:

mkdir /usr/share/fonts/ttfonts

Then, add fonts to this directory, either by copying them from your
Windows system:

cp /mnt/win/path_to_fonts/*ttf  /usr/share/fonts/ttfonts/

or by downloading those available directly from Microsoft. These fonts
are in self-extracting zip
archives. You can still install them though in linux

unzip <TTFONT.EXE>

Note that the font file names must be lower case. One quick and easy way
to convert them is to
copy them to a DOS (FAT16) filesystem and then copy them back. DOS
doesn't do upper case.
For a more linuxian way, go to the directory containing the fonts and
type this:

ls *TTF | while read f
do
[ -f "$f" ] && mv -f "$f" "`echo \"$f\" | tr A-Z a-z`"
done

You'll get the ">" prompt as you type each line, hit return at the end
of each line above. Note
the punctuation -- those "backquotes" are important! Once the TrueType
fonts are properly
installed, as root:

ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale
mkfontdir

Rerun these commands anytime the contents of your font directory
changes. Next, edit the xfs
font config file, /etc/X11/fs/config, to add your TrueType fonts to the
server's font list:

    catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
           /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1,
           /usr/share/fonts/ttfonts,
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,
           /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi

Alternately, you can use the 'chkfontpath --add <font>' command to add
fonts. While you're at
it, you may want to change the default point size too

default-point-size = 140

This gives me 14 point, instead of the default 12. Some X apps use this,
some won't. Next, make
sure the FontPath line in /etc/X11/XF86Config is:

FontPath "unix/:-1"

Note that "unix/:7100" may also do the trick, but did not work with the
initial release. Comment
out any existing FontPath with '#' since you no longer need it. The xfs
package itself should be
installed already with the other XFree packages. To make sure it runs as
one of the default
services either use 'ntsysv' or

chkconfig --add xfs

Now xfs will start every time you boot. Now restart X to force the new
FontPath and
start/restart xfs

/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart

You should now have a functioning font server. You can check which fonts
are being served:

xlsfonts | less

or check them out further with xfontsel, and even better, gfontsel!
Gia boithia (h na diagrafhte) e-mail sto majordomo at hellug.gr