about solaris NE2000 PCI ethernet (Realtek clones)

Nikos Paraskevaidis nparas at it.teithe.gr
Wed May 5 14:59:36 EEST 1999

Molonoti ayth einai safws mia peri linux lista,nomizw pws einai kalo na
anaferw to pws lynetai to 8ema sxetika me realtek 8029 ethernets se solaria x86
kai epeidh paromoio problhma eixan me mena kai alla paidia
ta opoia epoikoinwnoun mesw ths listas para8etw thn lysh:

How do I get Solaris to recognize a NE2000 compatible NIC card?

NEI is the driver name for the Novell/Eagle 2000-compatible family of
NIC cards. The driver is disabled by default because probing for it
causes problems with other cards (it sometimes locks the system up).
So, you have to modify file /kernel/drv/nei.conf to include I/O
ranges, interrupts. For example:
name="nei" parent="isa" reg=0x1,0xf600,0x1f interrupts=11 ;

Where name, "nei," is what will show up in /dev. The parent, "isa, "
is what bus type to use. The term ISA is misleading as it includes PCI
bus. To Solaris, it's either sysbus, the SPARC system bus, or isa,
meaning anything that's not SPARC sysbus. The "0x1" is a flag meaning
that I'm going to specify I/O port ranges, rather than memory offsets,
0xf600 indicates the beginning I/O address, in hex and 0x1f is the
offset of I/O range, from the beginning, in hex. The "interrupts=11"
indicate IRQ 11, in decimal. Thus, I have a Realtek 8029 PCI
NE2000-compatible card, set to base I/O addresses 0xf600-0xf61f, IRQ
11.

You also have to add a /etc/hostname.nei0 file with the IP address and
hostname. Also add the line to /etc/hosts. For example:
10.1.1.1        foo.bar.com

Next, as root, type "touch /reconfigure; reboot" After rebooting, type
"ifconfig nei0 plumb" to make sure the device was recognized. It
should show up in the output from typing "prtconf". If this card is
"Plug and Play," you should disable it and configure the card
manually, if possible. For further details see Sun FAQ 1105-02 at
http://access1.Sun.COM/cgi-bin/rinfo2html?110502.faq

[Answer adapted from Iram Peerbhai]

Gia boithia (h na diagrafhte) e-mail sto majordomo at hellug.gr