SVGAtextMode + Mystique

Panos Katsaloulis teras at writeme.com
Sun Feb 28 16:58:23 EET 1999

[Posted and mailed]

In article <XFMail.990227044717.roryt at hol.gr>,
	roryt at hol.gr writes:
> On 25-Feb-99 Panos Katsaloulis wrote:
>>
>> Mh mou peis oti exeis Mystique kai sou douleyei se SVGA;;;
> --
>> Emena h Mystique douleuei se VGA mode alla oxi se VESA.
> --
> Mia xara paizei, kai telika rithmisa kai to SVGATextMode monos mou kai exw
> 100Hz kai sthn consola. Alla pws na se bohthisw an den mou peis poio analitika
> ti ekanes kai den doulepse , kai ti sou parousiase ?
>
> I.Ioannou <roryt at hol.gr>
>
> PS, to e-mail sou poio einai ? Eithistai na basoume to swsto e-mail sto From

Kat'arxhn sorry gia to e-mail :(  To knews pou xrhsimopoiw exei thn tash na
bazei synexeia ayto gia "From" kai egw to dior9wnw me to xeri. Merikes fores
to 3exnaw, idiws otan en9ousiazomai 'h biazomai na grapsw kati!

Kata deyteron 9a para9esw olo to ponemeno istoriko. Sorry pou einai sta
agglika, alla to metaferw edw aytoysio opws to eixa steilei sth lista
svgalib, opou ekei den bre9hke enas xrhstianos na lysei to problhma moy -
mexri pou ekana unsubscribe...

To keimeno exei ws e3hs:

 * I have SuSE 5.3 distribution with libc installed and kernel 2.0.35, I don't
know if this is important...

* I downloaded the latest 1.4.1 version of svgalib.

* Before installing anything I deleted the old libraries from my system, just
to be sure...

* Now some info about my Makefile.cfg - maybe I do something wrong :-(

directories: I don't change anything...

TARGET_FORMAT = elf
# USEGLIBC = yes
ROOT_VC_SHORTCUT = y
#BACKGROUND = y
#ONE_MAP = y
#INSTALLSTATICLIB = installstaticlib
INSTALLSHAREDLIB = installsharedlib
INSTALLAOUTLIB = installaoutcompat
KEEPSHAREDLIBS = keep
INSTALLUTILS = installutils
INSTALLMAN = installman
MANFORMAT = compressed

Then, I comment out ALL drivers, except
INCLUDE_VESA_DRIVER = y

I comment out ALL autodetect, except
INCLUDE_VESA_DRIVER_TEST = y

- If I leave OAK driver uncommented, then the svga lib autodetects MAtrox
Mystique as OAK - which is of course wrong !

I comment out ALL dac support.
I comment out ALL dac support autodetect.

SVGALIB_CONFIG_FILE = $(datadir)/libvga.config
# DYNAMIC=y
#USE_CLOCKS = y
ALLOW_MOUSE_OVERRIDE = y

Compiler section: I don't do any changes.

* When I first tried to compile, I saw some warnings with "io.h" (and some
other files too). When I created some symlinks form
/usr/linux/include/asm-i386 the compilation worked o.k.

* I do "make clean" & "make install"

* I do some changes in /etc/vga/libvga.config:

chipset VGA
#chipset VESA

The demo programs (al least some of them) work fine.

* I change it to:
# chipset VGA
chipset VESA

* Now I have the following symptoms:
When I try to run a program (which run O.K. with VGA) I hear some strange
noises from the monitor and either I loose the console (I have to [ALT]+[F2])
or I see a blank  screen (must hard reset - [CTRL]+[ALT]+[DEL] doesn't work
:-(

* The lrmi program vbetest makes a list of video modes and after selecting a
number I have the same symptoms. Same with mode3.

* I have already updated the BIOS to the latest version from the site of
Matrox.

Ayta!
Gia boithia (h na diagrafhte) e-mail sto majordomo at hellug.gr
Ta archives tis listas einai sto http://lists.hellug.gr