StarOffice & Suntomeush Xronou Enar3hs

Efthimios Mavrogeorgiadis emav at enl.auth.gr
Wed Sep 16 23:53:34 EEST 1998

Psaxnontas na brw pws na suntomeusw to xrono enar3hs tou StarOffice 4.0 brhka
tis akolou8es odhgies se kapoio FAQ kapou sto diktuo (polu to xairomai otan
dinw toso akribeis plhrofories ;-)

   2. I noticed that for a lot of people, StarOffice takes quite a while
   to load (upwards of 60 seconds). The consensus on usenet was that a
   large chunk of this time was due to the symbol relocations that the
   dynamic linker has to do. ie, for each new symbol the dynamic linker
   has to locate the appropriate library. StarOffice dynamically links
   against quite a few libraries so the dynamic linker spends quite a bit
   of time searching through lots of libraries.

   There is a solution to this. I run StarOffice in a chroot'd jail. In
   the jail, I just put the binaries and libraries that StarOffice uses
   (all the libs out of /usr/X11R6/lib, libc/libm and libg++/libstdc++).
   StarWriter takes approximately 15 seconds to come up on my P133/32MB.
   This is due to the fact that the only libraries present are the ones
   needed by StarOffice and hence the dynamic linker spends
   proportionately less time searching through all the libraries on the
   system (ie, it doesn't search through all the useless libs in /usr/lib
   etc looking to resolve symbols).

Auto pou den katalabainw einai ti ennoei o grafwn me thn ekfrash "chroot'd
jail" (proteinomenh metafrash: se mia alla3orizwmenh fulakh ;-)))

Mporei kapoios na mou dwsei akribesteres odhgies; Ypo8etw oti prepei na ftia3w
kapoiou eidous ektelesimo programmataki alla euriskomenos se hmiprwtogonh
katastash oson afora th suggrafh script kai loipwn poihtikwn dhmiourghmatwn
ofeilw na omologhsw thn agnoia mou kai na zhthsw peraiterw odhgies. Over.

Efthimios Mavrogeorgiadis               ICQ: 12872104
emav at enl.auth.gr                        PGP public key upon request
Gia boithia (h na diagrafhte) e-mail sto majordomo at argos.hol.gr