FW: Project Independence: Linux for the Masses

I.Ioannou roryt at hol.gr
Sat May 16 07:26:46 EEST 1998

Xmm, na kati endiaferon ...

-----Forward: Project Independence: Linux for the Masses-----

From: jfm2 at club-internet.fr
Subject: Project Independence: Linux for the Masses

Rationale:
__________

A system accessible only to a minority will remain a minority OS.

* Project Independence believes that this is not an acceptable fate for
Linux.

* Project Independence aims to make Linux accessible to people with
    little computing experience.

* Project Independence aims to bring Linux to the masses.

A Call For Action:
__________________

*       If you want to make Linux usable
*       If you favour a pragmatic approach
*       If you believe in the bazaar model
*       If you are unhappy when you are unable to recommend Linux to
        friends and relatives,
*       If you want to act upon it

        Go straight to
                                http://independence.dunadan.com/

ANYONE can help. You needn't be a programmer. We need:

- --    Foreign language speakers
- --    People to test and review software
- --    People to contribute to the web site
- --    People to help make RPMs.
- --    People to download and test our packages.
- --    People to do all kinds of other odd jobs.
- --    Programmers are still welcome (-:

> Goals.
_________

(0)     Project Independence believes in providing something useful from
day 1, as prescribed by the philosophy of the bazaar development model
and
by our desire to be useful to the LINUX community.  True to our
beliefs, we
have made a (skeletal) web site and a (skeletal) software repository
containing a selection of software targeted at the home user. The
immediate
goal is to refine both the web site and the repository, and carefully
prepare
the packages for our target audience.

The web site is intended as a focal point and a front end to our
software repository providing access to user friendly software for new
users. This, we hope , will save them from many of the frustrations
that beginning users frequently encounter (and which can lead users to
give up in frustration). We want to meke easier for them to find what
they need thanks to our site. We want software packaged by us be
easier to install than when got from the original site.

Independence package software with the user in mind. The
goal: simple plug and play solutions requiring no post installation
configuration from the user.

(1)  Having built a good repository, the next aim will be to build
metapackages containing software tuned for interacting together and a
configurator. We aim to provide users with comprehensive  "solutions":
A networking solution, a graphics solution, a games solution, etc.
our target audience don't want to surf the web for new software to
install, they want to install something that works, and then simply
use it.

(2)   The next step will be replacing the installation routine in
existing distributions with a refined product.  With this step we
will have a complete distribution.

Project Status
______________

Currently, the "Independence Distribution" is a Red Hat 5 Distribution
with
the extra RPMs we have added (though we also build libc RPMs compatible
with Caldera, SUSE, and Red Hat 4). We have a preliminary web site and a
software repository.

Conclusion:
___________

As Linux is becoming more visible to the public, the growth potential is
now greater than ever. The time is right to help Linux fulfil its
potential as something that can be experienced by the masses. All
interested parties are invited to

http://independence.dunadan.com

- --
                        Jean Francois Martinez

The worthy man is the one who would drink muddy water if such were the
water of truth.

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating
signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to:
linux-announce at news.ornl.gov
This group is archived at http://www.iki.fi/mjr/linux/cola.html

--------------End of forwarded message-------------------------

I.Ioannou <roryt at hol.gr>