PPP Syndesh me to RedHat ?

Giorgos Mouzourellis gmouzo at compulink.gr
Sun Mar 15 05:06:34 EET 1998

christos vettas wrote:

> Paidia  pws mporw na syndethw me dynamic me to RedHat ?
> Kapoios apo IRC moy eipe na paw sto network configuration
> kai na kanw enable to POP ppp0 kai ekei sto edit me rwtaei ti
> arithmo na kalesei , ti passwd, login klp, me ti speed se poia serial einai
> to modem /dev/modem, kai meta molis teleiwsw ola ayta kai kanw save, ginete
> to connect sto ISP moy, alla meta den pernw Dynamic, ti prepei na prosthesw
> akoma;
> Pros to paron kanw syndesh me to minicom -s kai meta molis ginei to connect
> me dynamic sto ISP gyrizw me ctrl-a q (exit without reset)
> kai sto mhxanhma moy toy lew pppd defaultoure /dev/ttyS1 38400 kai einai ok
> doylebei, alla den moy aresei na ginete etsi, poios allos tropos yparxei;

To parakato  keimeno elpizo na se bohthisi  me bash ayto ekana kai ego thn ppp
syndesh. 6.13 The PPP scripts

All the scripts associated with network interfaces are kept in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. The ones associated with the ppp interface
are:-

        chat-ppp0       the 'expect/send' pairs for the dial/login process
        ifcfg-ppp0      the variables and settings for the interface
        ifdown-ppp      shell script to deactivate the link
        ifup-ppp        shell script to activate the link.

Rather than using the netcfg tool to activate the link, you can (as root use
the commands

        cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
        ./ifup-ppp ifcfg-ppp0 ?

Similarly, you can deactivate the link using

        cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
        ./ifdoown-ppp ifcfg-ppp0 ?

6.14 Problems

It is possible that you may have some problems.

Modem dials but the link never activates

If your modem dials and connects, but the PPP interface is never activated,
you probably have a problem with your chat script. Look through the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0 file and make sure that this looks
correct. Unless you know how chat scripts work, I suggest you read the full
PPP-HOWTO before you try editing this by hand. Whilst is it relatively
simple, you do need to know a few things!

If you cannot see the problem, the next step is to make the chat command log
(record) its conversation with your ISP's PPP server to the syslog
(/var/log/messages.

To do this, edit ifup-ppp and find the line

        connect ?/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/....

change this line by adding -v as below

        connect ?/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/...

When you activate the PPP interface, the conversation will be recorded in
the syslog and this may well help you find the problem.

When you look at the recorded chat cinversation, it may be that the server
never sends a login prompt. If this happens, try adding an empty expect/send
pair at the top of the list.

Gia boithia (h na diagrafhte) e-mail sto majordomo at argos.hol.gr